Twin Takes: Gabe Dolen is the future of the American Cornhole League

Twin Takes has been mostly focused on the current events in the main American sporting leagues such as the NFL and MLB. But one of the best parts of America is that there are many kinds of opportunities in professional sports. Just off the top of my head I can list football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf and boxing. But there is so much more and it is part of what makes this country great. So today, my friends, we will mix it up. We’re talking cornhole with a spotlight on Gabe Dolen.

Dolen and I go way back as childhood friends and teammates in club soccer. During those days he earned the nickname “Hulk” due to his physical dismantling of opponents. Were these legal tackles in soccer? Not important. What is important is that he was (and is) a dog. He was also a successful kicker at Zanesville High School, the second best high school in city limits. Recently, Dolen has moved on to bigger and better things that I am sure soccer opponents everywhere are grateful for, healthwise. He is on a one way track to success, recently becoming a pro in the American Cornhole League (ACL). 

Now I don’t know about you, but when I think cornhole, I think of casual games at cookouts with a brew in hand. If you ever come across Dolen at a cookout, you might want to have more than a few to handle the whooping he would hand you with the bags. So that leaves the questions many have likely asked: how did he become so good at such a niche sport?

I asked Gabe this question and he said that playing with his dad in his backyard multiple times a week did the trick. Additionally, a college friend of his asked Dolen if he wanted to go to a tournament– he •said yes and they ended up winning the first tournament they ever played. He added that he’s good because he works hard when others won’t. He takes it seriously and plays five to seven days a week to stay locked in. Showing unusual maturity for such a young athlete he said, “Whatever you put into it, you will get out.” This shows why Gabe is such a good cornhole player. While others take it casually, he continues to put in the work and become the best he can be.

Dolen is now a rookie in the ACL. There are many stages of tournaments including local, regional, conference and open. For pros, there are pro shootouts, pro nationals and pro invitationals. The five national tournaments happen during the regular season, which last from February through August. The national rankings are decided from the results of the national tournaments. Now, if you’re wondering how you can keep up with Dolen’s journey, follow him on TikTok (@aclprogdolen) where he regularly posts highlights and updates of his matches. 

Being the sports writer I am (I’m pretty much a pro at this point) I saved the most important question for last. Dolen has shown throughout his sports career that he has that dog in him, but I left him with this question: “Are you him?” Bad news for the other ACL pros because he answered without hesitation, “Yes. I am him.” 

Readers, go give the ACL a shot and make sure to follow Dolen’s TikTok to stay in touch with his career. Have a lovely rest of your week and stay tuned for more Twin Takes.

Weston Nern is a junior studying finance and business analytics at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Weston know by emailing him wn196719@ohio.edu.