Cutler Hall sits on the edge of College Green in Athens Ohio on August 25, 2022.

OU releases presidential search survey results

Ohio University released the results of its presidential search surveys in a newsletter Wednesday.

The Collective Genius, a data processing firm, was employed by the university to conduct interviews, surveys and focus groups to determine community and university expectations for the new president, according to the release.

"It's critical to note that the views and opinions expressed by participants reflect their shared experiences and beliefs," Melinda Swan, CEO of The Collective Genius, said in her report. "Their conclusions have not been fact-checked, nor were they balanced against additional information that may or may not offset their validity. We share them in the spirit of fulfilling our commitment to holistically report all perspectives."

Stakeholders responded to a survey containing questions to help guide the presidential search committee. The questions addressed opportunities and challenges for the upcoming president and the stakeholders' most valued experiences.

The data showed that the upcoming president should prioritize the teaching and learning experience. Additionally, the data showed that the upcoming president would have the opportunity to ensure a sustainable future. The biggest challenge is a tie between 'Making Difficult Financial Decisions to Ensure Long Term Stability' and 'Recruiting and Retaining Faculty and Staff in a Highly Competitive Marketplace.' 

The three main values that surfaced in the report were improving student experience, academic and research excellence and financial stability. 

According to the university's press release, the report has been presented to both the Board of Trustees and AGB Search. 

A Presidential Leadership Statement is expected to be released by the search committee by the end of October.

More information about the presidential search can be found here.

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu