10 “dad rock” songs to listen to with your dad for Dad’s Weekend

It’s officially Dad’s Weekend at Ohio University, so college students will be able to hang out with their fathers while doing a plethora of activities throughout the weekend (list of events can be found here). For the occasion, I have compiled a list of 10 “dad rock” songs to headbang with your dad all weekend long. 

There is not a good definition for the music genre “dad rock,” but the songs I have chosen for this list are songs that feel like it’s 2011 and you’re in the backseat of your dad’s black Chevy truck while he’s driving you to soccer practice. Sure, it’s an odd scenario, but the songs he’s blaring from the crappy stereo of the truck are most likely some of the tracks featured on this list. With that being said, enjoy this list, and have a great weekend with your dad.

*Playlist Link*

Down with the Sickness” by Disturbed

The first song on this list is “Down with the Sickness” by Disturbed, released in 2000. The track opens with booming drums, chugging guitars and deep, crackling whispers that lead you into the dramatic vocalization the song is known for. From there, the verses bump up the drums and chugging guitar riffs, and the vocals are deep and operatic, courtesy of Disturbed’s vocalist David Draiman. Eventually, the verses lead into the chorus where Draiman’s vocals are gruff and gravelly as he yells at the listener to “get up, come on, get down with the sickness.” 

Although the rest of the song is the same structure throughout, there’s an interesting part of the interlude (that is not included in the radio edit) where Draiman is vocalizing what sounds like a boy being abused by his mother and tries to tell her to stop. It’s supposed to be a metaphor that fits with the overall theme of the song – the conflict between the mother of society and a young boy who wants to find freedom and individuality (lyric analysis found here). Overall, it’s an iconic song that will hype you and your dad up this weekend.

Lips Of An Angel” by Hinder

This next song is Hinder’s best-known track “Lips Of An Angel,” released in 2006. Although it’s not as hype as the last track, it’s still a swaying ballad with a memorable chorus and fantastic instrumentation. Hinder’s lead singer Austin John Winkler vocals are gravelly and raspy as he sings about having an affair with his ex-girlfriend. 

Even with the problematic lyrics, the listener tends to forget about the questionable words and gets lost in the swaying instrumentation, which consists of shiny guitar riffs, grooving drums and soft acoustic guitars. That is arguably why it gained so much traction on TikTok a few months ago when users were using the song in the background of their videos. Nonetheless, “Lips Of An Angel” is a staple in the dad rock genre, and it’s sure to have you and your dad jamming out this weekend.

I Hate Everything About You” by Three Days Grace

Back to the headbangers, Three Days Grace’s “I Hate Everything About You” (2003) is the next “dad rock” song on this list. With twangy guitar riffs, punchy drums and rumbling bass, the track sounds grungy and booming. During the verses, the vocals sound clear and operatic. However, the vocals are rougher and braying when it gets to the chorus. 

Vocalist Adam Gontier sings about having a conflict between loving and hating a person in a toxic relationship. It’s an emotional song that many listeners can find relatable due to how honest the emotions are of being in a toxic relationship, like the one depicted in the track. Even with its lyrical meaning, the song is a good tune to headbang to with your dad.

Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)” by The Offspring

Next on this list is the entertaining and goofy track “Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)” (1998) by The Offspring. The track opens with the pseudo-German nonsense phrase, “Gunter glieben glauchen globen,” which is sampled from Def Leppard’s “Rock of Ages.” It’s a hilarious opener, especially when it’s followed by girls singing “Give it to me baby!” and The Offspring’s lead singer Dexter Holland’s clown-horn vocalization of “Uh huh, Uh huh” following afterward. 

The rest of the song tells the tale of a guy failing at being cool but thinking “he’s the dopest trip” besides all of his failures of pretending to be hip. The instrumentals are quite unique as they feature a cowbell and a weird cranking sound one can hear throughout the song. The song also includes a fuzzy guitar riff, a deep bass line and thudding drums. It’s truly an iconic track, and it will surely have you and your dad having a good time this Dad’s Weekend.

Headstrong” by Trapt

The next song is Trapt’s massive hit “Headstrong,” released in 2002. The song has a powerful introduction with its loud, crisp guitar riff and eardrum-piercing drums. The rest of the song keeps up the high energy of the introduction, especially during the chorus where the drums and guitar seem to amplify. During the verses, it’s a bit calmer, but the drums continue to be punchy and the vocals are strong and groovy. Going back to the chorus, Chris Taylor Brown’s vocals are more harsh and raspy than his clearer vocals during the verses or pre-choruses. It’s an extremely hyper track that will have you and your dad headbanging all weekend long.

Rockstar” by Nickelback

What’s a list consisting of “dad rock” without the inclusion of Nickelback? The iconic 2006 hit “Rockstar” by Nickelback is featured on this list for all of the divorced dads out there. The song features a swaying acoustic guitar, resonant drum clashes and twanging electric guitar riffs. Of course, who could forget Chad Kroeger’s iconic gravelly, rash vocals? In this song, he sings about wanting to be a rockstar and live a life of luxury and fame. He doesn’t care about selling out or succumbing to the dangers of celebrity culture – he just wants to be famous. Moreover, it’s still a swaying tune that will have you and your dad wanting to be rock stars this Dad’s Weekend.

Last Resort” by Papa Roach

The next track is one of Papa Roach’s biggest hits, “Last Resort,” released in 2000. Although the track has a depressing tone to it in the form of its lyrics, which detail the narrator dealing with self-harm and suicidal thoughts, the song’s instrumentals are upbeat and abrasive. With its loud, distorted guitars and thudding drums, the instrumentals add to how the narrator is feeling angry and calling out for help. Papa Roach’s lead singer Jacoby Shaddix’s harsh and brutal vocals only add to what the narrator is feeling. However, listeners tend to ignore the sad nature of the lyrics and jam out to the guitars and drums instead. Nonetheless, “Last Resort” is a hyped song and will have you and your dad jamming out all weekend long.

Paralyzer” by Finger Eleven

Another upbeat song on this list is “Paralyzer” by Finger Eleven, released in 2007. With its growling guitar riffs and booming drums, the song is a headbanger right from the get-go. When it gets to the chorus, the whole song makes the listener want to groove to the music. This is most likely why this song also trended on TikTok a few months ago. Besides the instrumentals, the vocals are gruff, yet melodic throughout the song and carry a very catchy melody. Lead singer Scott Anderson sings about feeling awkward in a club, yet feeling enticed by someone who has him “paralyzed.” Overall, this track will have you and your dad feeling the opposite of still and instead have you grooving all weekend.

Monster” by Skillet

Second to last track on this list is Skillet’s “Monster,” released in 2009. Considered a staple “dad rock” song to many people, this track is a classic 2000s alternative rock tune with its scratchy, distorted electric guitar, thudding drums and rough, gravelly vocals. This is another song that trended on TikTok a while ago with users describing their experiences of being in the back of their dad’s car and jamming out to the song in their youth. 

It’s a surreal, seemingly universal experience for many young people during this time. As for the lyrics, frontman John Cooper told Sterotruth that the “song is about being fake and putting on a face for people that’s not the real you,” which many people can relate to. There’s an entire Christian undertone to it since Skillet is a Christan rock band, but the meaning can be viewed from outside that perspective. Nonetheless, “Monster” is a classic “dad rock” track that will have you and your dad feeling like monsters all weekend long.

Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle)” by Limp Bizkit

Last but not least is “Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle)” (2000) by the legendary nu-metal group Limp Bizkit. Known for “putting bounce in the mosh pit” (namely at Woodstock 99), Limp Bizkit has several song contenders to be featured on this list full of “dad rock” hits, but “Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle)” is one of the best songs to jam out with anyone, not just your dad. With its iconic one-line opener, "Alright, partner, keep on rollin', baby; you know what time it is,” the track is alerting the listener to get ready for the absolute rager of a song that is about to commence. 

The song’s chugging, sliding guitar riffs, clashing drums and signature Limp Bizkit scritch-scratching effect of their instrumentals is sure to hype the listener up with the instrumentals alone. However, Fred Durst’s gruff and abrasive vocals telling the listener to “throw your hands up” and various other lyrical to-dos add to the effect of wanting to be in a mosh pit and demolishing the people inside. Overall, this song is a must-listen-to for when you’re with your dad this weekend, even if you both aren’t in a mosh pit.

@brookekillslive 

bp655221@ohio.edu