5 reasons why Matty Healy is currently one of the funniest lead singers

Matty Healy, the lead singer of The 1975, is known for being one of alternative music’s most outlandish and comedic figures, full of controversial statements and witty remarks that can often be found on the trending page of Twitter.

While the singer’s no-filter has led him to receive some online scrutiny, Healy is still a magnetic, enticing force. He’s simply a person that can make anyone laugh, even if you have no clue who he, or his band, is.

Here’s five reasons why Matty Healy is one of the funniest lead singers currently out there:

“...and I do make art, thank you very much”

Healy’s infamous for conducting interviews that leave viewers curious of who exactly he is, and he never holds back when it comes to being sarcastic. In the context of this interview, the singer was promoting The 1975’s previous album, “Notes On A Conditional Form,” and happened to fall into a rant about his musical process, as many critics have found the band’s past works beyond experimental and straight up just weird. Clearly, Healy is confident in the fact that The 1975 makes quality music, hence the quote above.

Matty Healy on ‘CHICKEN SHOP DATE’ with Amelia Dimoldenberg

Recently, the singer went on “CHICKEN SHOP DATE” with popular celebrity interviewer, Amelia Dimoldenberg. On the date, Healy and Dimoldenberg had great chemistry, and the singer even tried to sneak in a kiss at the end. Even though the singer is famous for making interviews awkward, Dimoldenberg’s own purposeful awkwardness was a challenge for Healy, causing the interview to be one of the funniest the YouTube series has seen in a while. Overall, Healy’s jokes and personality were at its peak, allowing the two to share a meal together and revel in awkwardness.

Healy falling over during a show, yet still continuing to sing

After crowd surfing during the release show of The 1975’s newest album, “Being Funny In a Foreign Language,” Healy luckily made his way back to the stage, but not in the way he anticipated. Tripping over his microphone wire, the singer face-planted against the wooden stage during the beginning of the song, “Give Yourself a Try,” yet still continued to sing. Not even phased by the wipeout, the moment is iconic to many fans of Healy’s band, proving that he doesn’t take himself too seriously as a lead singer.

The singer’s Twitter account

If you’ve never taken a look at Healy’s Twitter account, you’re missing out on an array of risque, yet hilarious, opinions the singer has. After deleting his main Twitter account in 2020, the singer recently made a new one with no profile picture, but with his exact name, causing fans to speculate if it was really him or not before the drop of their recent album. Luckily, it was as fans instantly recognized Healy’s sarcasm, retweets of footage from The 1975’s live shows and his interactions with other musicians on the app. 

His Instagram stories

Similar to his Twitter account, Healy is also popular on Instagram, posting constantly on his story. Most of the time, the singer can be seen strolling around his home country of the United Kingdom or messing around with his bandmates, but oftentimes, he’s also reacting to fans’ comments about him and posting memes that relate to his sense of humor. If you’re a fan of The 1975, it’s always fun to see what Healy has to say about his daily life, and you’ll for sure end up totally invested in what he has to say.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu