Fresh Finds Friday: Nas returns with his 15th album “King’s Disease III; Chance Peña reflects on home. In his new single “Whiskey and Cigarettes

As week fourteen begins, Bobcats are pushing through colder weather and getting excited to return home for Thanksgiving break. With that said, listening to new tunes throughout the week and weekend is always essential. This past week, Nas, Bruce Springsteen  and others have dropped new music. Here are 5 new songs to get you through the week:

“King’s Disease III” by Nas

Some people in the world of Hip-Hop could decree Nas to be a king of hip-hop among the greatest ever to do it, and on his 15th studio album, he returns to affirm this very statement. He spends most of his time on this album, reflecting on his youth and rise to superstardom. Starting from how he's transcended hip-hop on "Ghetto Reporter" to the risks in the streets and the music industry on "The Five Heartbeats." Nas ensures his spot and shows morality's ever-present significance.

“Sober” by JXDN

Upcoming artist JXDN released his new single “Sober” via Travis Barker’s DTA Records. Which comes after his most recent two-track EP “28( (Songs For Cooper)" in June, in honor of his late best friend, Cooper Noriega. In addition, JXDN has embarked on his debut headline tour, which supported his debut album “Tell Me About Tomorrow.” Like “Sober,” it was produced by Travis Barker, and JXDN has no sign of stopping as he embarks on the beginning of a new chapter for him musically.

“Only The Strong Survive” by Bruce Springsteen

Returning from the music of long ago, Comes Bruce Springsteen, this one's for your Mom or Dad out there. However, this time, he returns with something new: a soul genre cover album featuring songs such as "Shout" by the Isley Brothers, "Devil With a Blue Dress On" by Jackie Wilson, and much more. The 73-year-old, still popular as ever, secured his legacy and his place in music among the strong, in this case, musical legends.

“2 Sugar” by Wizkid

Earlier this month, Wizkid dropped his fifth studio LP, “More Love Less Ego.” The Nigerian singer and songwriter is finding his way into mainstream music with songs with features from top artists such as Don Toliver over the weekend and now with Ayra Starr on his new single “2 Sugar”. Talking about mental health centered around the artists amid fast lifestyles, lyrics: “Man I fight my demons, yeah, keep the bad energy gone” highlight this feature. The song, accompanied by a music video, features colorful outfits and energetic dance moves to push the bad energy away. You can watch the video here.

“Whiskey and Cigarettes” by Chance Peña

Chance Peña, a singer-songwriter from Tyler, Texas, reflects on home. In his new single "Whiskey and Cigarettes," Lyrics: "A couple whiskeys and cigarettes, / I got a few things to get up off my chest / I've been knee-deep in my regrets, I'm missing home." Set up a  true ballad to the memories of home and wish you were closer to family and all the things you had while growing up while also fighting what you didn't like growing up. "When you need a piece of home, and you're far from it, I hope this song makes you feel a little closer." Pena says on a Tik Tok. So as we head home for Thanksgiving break, reflect on you and what you miss most about the home so you can let it out when you get back. I know I will.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu