Here’s a list of the 5 top places to study away through OU

College is the perfect time to study away, usually during one’s junior or senior year. Ohio University’s Office of Global Opportunities provides a plethora of options for students who want to leave their comfort zone. 

Whether you want to travel to Asia, Europe or elsewhere in the U.S., there’s somewhere for everyone to experience a new culture and receive college credit.

Here’s a list of the five top places to study away through OU:

US: Scripps Semester in D.C.

If you’re more comfortable traveling within the U.S., the Scripps Semester in D.C. may be right up your alley. A collaboration between the School of Visual Communication and the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, the program allows students to work in the nation’s capital, focusing on the branches of journalism. Students can gain experience in print, broadcast, data and photojournalism. The first four weeks of the semester are in a seminar setting. Each week focuses on a different topic such as multimedia storytelling, data journalism and visualization, ethics and strategic communication. The weeks following consist of a 10-week practicum in the D.C. area.

Japan: Chubu Exchange and Study Abroad

Students can study abroad at Japan’s Chubu University and enjoy learning Japanese in a quiet, comfortable setting in the nation’s third-largest city, Nagoya. The program offers courses in Japanese for students of all proficiency levels. Students take field trips and excursions during their stay and can live in double-occupancy rooms in an international studio dorm at Chubu University. Those interested can choose to study abroad during any season of the year. 

Germany: Leipzig University Exchange

Within this study abroad program at Leipzig University, students can experience Leipzig, Germany through its array of cafes and arts. The city also has easy access to other places such as Berlin and Prague. Students can select from several living options, including university-sponsored dorms with single rooms, dorms with German roommates or student houses. Students will also enroll in full-time courses alongside German students. Leipzig offers a pre-semester language and orientation course at minimal additional cost.

China: Hong Kong Baptist University

Hong Kong Baptist University offers undergraduate students a diverse array of study options, including visual and fine arts, business, communication and humanities. Students will have access to cultural diversity, shopping, hiking, beaches and thousands of restaurants. There is no foreign language requirement for enrollment at the university, as most classes are taught in English. Students can also attend two sports centers offering various exercise options, such as a fitness center, a multi-purpose gymnasium, a soccer field and a swimming pool. Support services are provided by the International Student Exchange Center, or ISEC, which offers counseling services.

Spain: Spanish Language and Culture in Toledo Summer 

Offered by OU’s Department of Modern Languages in association with the Universidad Castilla-La Mancha, students will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the Spanish language and culture, all while living in Toledo. Past excursions have included visits to the Alcazar and Roman aqueduct in Segovia, trips to Madrid and Cuenca and exploration of Toledo and its surroundings. Students live with host families, with one student per family. The program runs from May 7 to July 1, 2023. 

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu