OU Volleyball ready to receive the serve from Ball State University on Nov. 11th, 2022 in the Convo. in Athens, Ohio.

Volleyball: Ohio faces Kent State to end regular season

Ohio's regular season will come to a close Wednesday when it takes on Kent State. 

Ohio's loss to Ball State Saturday lessens some of the stakes in its regular season finale, but Ohio (18-10, 12-5 Mid-American Conference) still has a lot to play for. For many seniors, it will be their last time suiting up in The Convo. Senior day was on Saturday, but Ohio still wants to send its graduating seniors off with a win. 

Although the Bobcats don't have a chance at a first-round bye, a win against the Golden Flashes could help them face an easier opponent in the MAC Tournament. It is unclear where the MAC Tournament will be played, or whom the Bobcats will play, but a win Wednesday could give them the third-best conference record. 

Ohio could play four different teams in the first round of the MAC Tournament, but if the season ended today, Ohio would take on Northern Illinois in a rematch of last year's MAC Tournament first round. 

Before Ohio shifts its focus to the MAC Tournament, it will want to end the regular season on a high note with a win against Kent State. 

Match information

Opponent: Kent State (13-15, 4-13 MAC)

Location: The Convo (Athens, OH) 

Date and time: Nov. 16 at 6 p.m.

How to Watch: ESPN+

The Bobcats and the Golden Flashes already played once this season on Oct. 18, and the Bobcats won 3-2. Since then, the Golden Flashes are 1-7. 

As bad as their recent record looks, the Golden Flashes' schedule has been incredibly difficult. Only one of their last eight matches was played against a team with a losing record in the MAC. The Golden Flashes could have a better conference record themselves, going 4-13 in MAC play. They are currently on a five-match losing streak, and because of their poor record in the regular season, Wednesday's match against the Bobcats will be their last of the season. 

Player to watch: Danie Tyson

In a bit of a down year, Kent State has still had excellent play from Danie Tyson. Tyson doesn't have the same offensive volume as other Kent State hitters, but she has been very efficient when she does get the opportunity to score. Tyson is eighth in the MAC in hitting percentage, but her real strength lies on the defensive end. Tyson has the second most blocks in the MAC with 107, and she is one of only three players in the conference to have totaled more than 100 blocks this season.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu