Campbell’s Couture: ‘That girl’ is out, ‘pink pilates princess’ style is in

"Don't be into trends. Don't make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live." — Gianni Versace

It’s official: being “that girl” is so last year. 

The “that girl” or “clean girl” aesthetic perpetuates an image of a put-together, young professional who is always dressed to impress. Her style is simple, consisting of neutral colors, buttoned down tops and gold jewelry. 

While I’m a sucker for a minimalistic chic look, the “that girl” aesthetic also brought an unhealthy outlook on health and wellness. 

If you scroll through the “#thatgirl” on TikTok, you will send endless workout routines, eating regimens and extravagant “day in the life” videos. Promoting a healthy lifestyle is great, but showing this message to young and impressionable women gives an unrealistic expectation: if you are not super fit physically and eat super clean, then you are not good enough. 

What started off as a fun fashion aesthetic turned into a possibly toxic portrayal of what health should be. That being said, I now fully subscribe to the “pink pilates princess” aesthetic. 

If the name does not give it away, the style trend is based on pilates, which consists of deep-muscle floor workouts and stretches. The exercise attire-inspired style brings a whole new outlook on the color pink and pastels. 

People can embrace their inner ballerina with a black leotard, pink shrug and knit leg warmers. “Off duty” looks can include matching work-out sets, flared yoga pants, bike shorts and flared skirts. 

The most important part of the aesthetic: pink, pink, pink. 

In last week’s article, I wrote about how dressing for success can actually lead to increased productivity. The same could be said about dressing up for working out.

I have recently prioritized implementing work-outs into my daily routine. My go-tos are pilates and power yoga. I feel way more motivated and energized to go do an online pilates class and do a yoga routine in my living room when I look the part. 

The aesthetic does relate to a type of working out, but it does not have as much of an emphasis on eating or other health related aspects. Scrolling through social media, you will find a plethora of body, racial and ethnic representation. There is not as much of only one type of person represented in the way the “that girl” aesthetic shows. 

The “pink pilates princess'' aesthetic is not so much about the lifestyle you have to portray to the world as it is about looking cute and feeling confident in your attire. Even if you do not love the idea of breaking a sweat, the cute trend can express your inner child in a fun and positive way. 

Remember that these fashion trends do not define you as a person, they are simply one way you can express your personality and interests to the world. So the next time you go on a hot girl walk or do your morning stretches, adding a touch of pink could do just that. 

Hannah Campbell is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Hannah by tweeting her at @hannahcmpbell.