Lately with Layne: Ohio’s left disappointed by midterm results

Over four million Ohioans cast their vote in the 2022 Midterm Election. Nationally, a “red wave” was expected due to President Joe Biden’s disappointments thus far. However, results showed that this occurred most prominently in states like Florida and Ohio rather than as a collective nation. With an impressive turnout of over 50% of registered voters, voting results revealed a statewide shift toward the right. 

Although more partisan an election than usual, Ohio managed to have some prevailing candidates on the left, specifically in the U.S. House of Representatives. While Ohio only has five Democrats in the House post-election, they still gained a seat from their previous four-Democrats-to-11-Republicans ratio. In all districts with an incumbent, the incumbent candidate kept their seat. The only exception was in Ohio’s first district, where, fortunately, left-leaning voters pushed Greg Landsman to victory with a 52.5% lead. In my hometown, the 13th district, Emilia Sykes snatched what was previously Tim Ryan’s seat from Madison Gesiotto Gilbert, who was arguably not qualified enough to have a seat in the federal government. On the other side, election deniers like Jim Jordan continued to hold their seat while presenting a clear danger to the rhetoric surrounding the next presidential election. 

In Ohio’s worst interest, J.D. Vance prevailed in the Senate race. Ignoring the fact that opponent Tim Ryan had far more experience in Congress, J.D. Vance carries some heavy luggage with him that voters may have been ignorant of or just ignored. In a debate between the two, Vance declared he supported a potential Ohio law that would reduce the amount of training required for teachers to carry guns in schools. On that note, Vance also tweeted he would fight to abolish the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which operates to increase public safety and regulate lawful commerce in the firearms and explosive industry. He is a dangerous person to represent Ohio in the U.S. Senate. 

At the state level, incumbents Frank LaRose and Dave Yost maintained their respective seats as Secretary of State and Attorney General in addition to the right-winged Auditor of State, Keith Faber, and Treasurer, Robert Sprague. Mike DeWine, more of a moderate Republican, kept his position as Governor. In his time, DeWine’s Expedited Pardon Project has helped people who have committed a crime in the past create a better life and his H2Ohio project has aimed to improve wastewater infrastructure for the betterment of the environment. However, opponent Nan Whaley had a strong campaign with convincing evidence that she would show up for Ohio. That take is statistically in the minority as DeWine received over one million more votes, but the left wasn’t as concerned about him.

While DeWine doesn’t cause as much harm as politicians like J.D. Vance, Whaley was the needed Democrat in state government. Whaley, if elected, had the potential to stand up for the education system as she was a big advocate for universal preschool, creating a safer school environment and increasing grants to increase college accessibility. Whaley has also been known to protect the right to reproductive choice in her actions and words. Her loss in the race for Governor may have been a crucial letdown if Ohio tries to pass an abortion ban in the future, as she could have been a voice arguing against it. Not electing Whaley into office was a loss for all Ohioans; she could have improved the job market and addressed inflation and LGBTQIA+ and environmental issues. 

This election’s results clearly present the cruciality of voting. While disappointed in the results, it is almost more disappointing to see that only 27% of people ages 18-29 voted. Gen-Z has predominantly leaned left and has the power to sway key elections, especially in Ohio, where they are almost always a tight race. As a well-known swing state, Ohio will most likely be a key contender in the next presidential election. All voters, especially young people, should do their part to change the future of their community, state, and nation. 

Layne Rey is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.