Ranking songs from Taylor Swift’s ‘Speak Now’

12 years ago, Taylor Swift released her third studio album, “Speak Now” at the age of 20. Completely written by her, it’s seemingly one of her most underrated albums, though die-hard Swifties are consistently working hard to appreciate it. 

She released the music video for one of her new songs, “Bejeweled,” which contained an abundance of hints towards her third album.  With so many hints being tossed out, it’s easily believable to think that “Speak Now” is the next album to be re-recorded by the artist. 

In honor of “Speak Now” being the next possible re-recording, here is a ranking of the main 14 tracks:

14. “Mean”

This country song about being put down by others won two Grammys, one for Best Country Solo Performance and Best Country Song in 2012. Out of all the songs on the album, this is the one that might get most tiresome after a while. “Mean” is the strongest country song on the whole album, as the rest of the album starts to stray away from her typical country sound at this point. 

13. “Innocent” 

“Innocent” is truly what the song title is, innocent. It’s still an exceptional song but doesn’t exactly measure up to the powerful upbeat bops it’s assembled with. Swift wrote this song about Kayne West, a year after the famed interruption at the 2009 VMA’s. The song has aged interestingly well and its re-recording will be slightly ironic. 

12. “Never Grow Up” 

This beautiful lullaby is one of her many acoustic songs referencing her childhood, the same as “The Best Day” and “Fifteen.” “Never Grow Up” is difficult to listen to time and time again since it’s so endearing and continuously pulls at the heartstrings. This reminiscent track is going to hurt even more when re-recorded by the now 32-year-old. 

11. “Mine”

An interesting opening to the album, though “Sparks Fly” might have been a better choice. The compassionate hit single is a perfect day-dreaming song, with lyrics that will always force you to sing along. Rumored to be about late “Glee” star Cory Monteith, the song draws in some heartache to many of those who grieve his passing.

10. “Speak Now” 

The album’s title track is an extremely catchy tune about Swift disrupting a wedding. Like most of the album, it's easily replayable, though some fans might say otherwise. All in all, it’s one of the many storytelling songs that Swift has wonderfully crafted to paint that picture in our minds. 

9. “The Story of Us” 

This upbeat masterpiece is yet another supposed hit on her ex John Mayer. With a chorus so snappy and a drumbeat that is strongly stimulating, “The Story of Us” is a force not to be reckoned with. Play it through once and you’ll most likely hit the replay button soon after. 

8. “Sparks Fly” 

The song was an extravagant opening to her album tour, making it seem more fitting for the first track spot. Its amplifying opening is unforgettable as it consistently soars throughout the whole song. It deserves to be played at Swift’s next tour, as this song is one of the album’s staples. 

7. “Better Than Revenge” 

Though the song has not aged well with its misogynistic lyric, the song was defiant as her first of many songs about revenge. Filled with anger and poised with a target, it’s one of her most powerful breakup songs in her whole discography. 

6. “Back to December” 

While Swift usually sings about being the one broken up with, she sings about being the one to do the heartbreaking in “Back to December”. The song is a reference to her relationship with “Twilight” star Taylor Lautner as a way of saying sorry to him. The way the chorus fits so many painfully affecting lyrics into it makes it one of the most powerful songs on the whole album and in her whole discography. 

5. “Haunted” 

The violins, the guitar riffs, the strong vocals and the all-around pop-rock sound, it’s a shame that Swift doesn’t acquire this sound more often. It’s one of the most distinct songs by the singer-songwriter solely because of its sound. 

4. “Long Live” 

A worthy ending to a worthy album is this song symbolizing reminiscence. The song is unstoppable at its exhilarating bridge and is guaranteed to induce a tear or two. With the song ending with, “One day, we will be remembered,” it encapsulates the album perfectly. 

3. “Last Kiss” 

“Last Kiss” is an underrated piece but contains some of her best lyricism on “Speak Now.” This is another song referencing ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas, but this time providing a more somber sound to her heartbreak. With a bridge so heartbreaking, it’s impossible to ignore the heart this song has, as well as the way most people can resonate with it to an extreme extent. 

2. “Enchanted” 

“Enchanted” is one of her best, most iconic love songs and is undoubtedly the most popular off this album.  Similar to “Love Story,” she uses this magical fairytale theme that is impossible not to fall in love with. The song pounds into your heart and effortlessly forces you to sing along to the lyrics: “Please don’t be in love with someone else / Please don’t have somebody waiting on you.” The re-recording is going to be one of the most popular when released, since it had recently been trending on TikTok.

1. “Dear John” 

At six minutes and 43 seconds long, this absolutely heartbreaking song remains to be one of Swift's most poignant, effective songs, up there with “All Too Well.”  The bridge is one of her most poetic of all time as she sings, “But I took your matches before fire could catch me / So don’t look now / I’m shining like fireworks over your sad empty town.” The re-recording of the song will absolutely dominate the charts as Swift’s mature vocals will most likely recreate the song beautifully and probably more aggressively. 

@loganhumphrey_

lh129720@ohio.edu