Athens City Council meets on the Tuesday after Labor Day, Sept. 6, 2022.

City Council: Body approves rental permit ordinance

Athens City Council met on Monday to discuss a number of ordinances, including an ordinance pertaining to rental permits and an ordinance that would allow Mayor Steve Patter to enter a Solar Power Purchase Agreement, or SPPA.

According to a previous Post report, the rental permit ordinance, which was amended at the Nov. 7 Council meeting, would amend title 29 housing regulations and chapter 29.03 rental dwellings short term. It defines when a person would need to acquire a rental permit. 

Councilmember Sarah Grace, D-At Large, said the amended ordinance reads, “all residential property within the city-owned for rental purposes or occupied by a rent-paying party other than the owner shall require a rental dwelling short term rental or rooming house permit from the Office of code enforcement.”

The ordinance was approved. 

Council also discussed an ordinance that would allow Patterson to enter a SPPA with Third Sun Kokosing Solar for photovoltaic solar panels to be installed in Athens. 

According to a previous Post article, Geoff Greenfield, founder of Third Sun Kokosing Solar, said the solar project will offset 1,834 metric tons of carbon dioxide annually and 55,020 metric tons of carbon dioxide over its 30-year design life. 

Councilmember Sam Crowl, D-3rd Ward, said the panels will be installed at the Athens Community Center, Athens city pool and the wastewater treatment plant.

The ordinance was approved. 

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu