Collin Felton, 13, dives in for the play during the match against West Virginia at Bird Ice Arena on Nov. 5, 2022.

Hockey: Ohio earns shutout against Kent State

Winter break may have begun, but Ohio is still working. It didn’t let up Friday and tallied another win at home in a 3-0 shutout against Kent State. 

Here are the numbers to know from the game: 

1,015

It’s been 1,015 days since the Bobcats last beat the Golden Flashes. The last time the two teams played was on February 29, 2020, when the Bobcats shut them out in an 8-0 win. In their last series with the Golden Flashes, the Bobcats scored a total of 19 goals, and showed their dominance on offense. Even though they only scored three goals Friday, the Bobcats still showed strength, just this time on defense. 

17

No. 17 Laker Aldridge did not play Friday, his first time missing a game all season. Aldridge was disqualified from Ohio’s last game on Dec. 3 after getting a major fighting penalty and may still be serving time for that this weekend. 

39

There was a staggering difference between Ohio and Kent State’s shots on goal, as Ohio had 39 more than its opponent. It finished with 49 shots on goal, while Kent State had 10.

20 of Ohio’s shots on goal came in the second period, however, it didn't score during that time. Kent State’s only shots on goal came in the first and second periods. It had zero shots on goal in the third. 

2

Two of Ohio’s goals came from one player: Zach Curry. The forward scored his first and second goals of the season in the first period against Kent State. Ohio’s first goal of the night from Curry came just under nine minutes in, and his second followed less than 10 minutes later. 

The Bobcats haven’t seen much of Curry this season, as Friday marked just his ninth game. However, he helped the Bobcats earn their fourth straight win and 15th of the season. 

Ohio’s other goal of the night game from J.T. Schimizzi in the third period. 

3

Goalie Max Karlenzig earned his second shutout of the season and the third of his career Friday. This was partly due to the Golden Flashes' limited number of shots on goal. However, it was also due to his ability to stay focused while in the net. Consistency is something that Karlenzig has struggled with, but he was locked in Friday night. 

Karlenzig’s first shutout this season was on Oct. 14 at Illinois. With 16 regular season games left, there’s still plenty of time for more. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu