Ohio’s Alec Hagan wrestles Campbells’s  Zach Barnes during a match on Nov. 10, 2019, in The Convo. (FILE)

Wrestling: Alec Hagan finishes sixth during Ohio's weekend in Vegas

While most of the school was focused on the football team playing Toledo in the Mid-American Conference Championship in Detroit, the Ohio wrestling team spent its weekend in Vegas participating in the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational. 

Overall, the Bobcats struggled against some of the best competitors in collegiate wrestling. They finished 20th out of 33 teams at the invitational with 20 points. 

The most notable stat of the weekend was graduate student Alec Hagan’s sixth-place finish in the 149-pound weight class. On the way to his impressive finish, Hagan pinned familiar opponent Kody Komara of Kent State, which is a team that the Bobcats will face head-to-head at The Convo on Feb. 4.

It took Ohio State's Sammy Sasso, who finished fifth at the NCAA Tournament last year, to end Hagan's impressive weekend in the quarterfinals. 

Along with Hagan, sophomore Sal Perrine and redshirt freshman Peyten Kellar advanced to the quarterfinals of their respective weight classes. Neither finished in the top six.

The Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational concluded the Bobcat's stretch of invitational matches before their first head-to-head conference matchup at Edinboro. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu