Jordan Slivka of Ohio University Wrestling throws the Southern Illionois 157lbs Max Kristoff at the MAC Championship qualifying match at the Convo. on March 4, 2022.

Wrestling: Ohio falls to West Virginia 28-9

After a brief break, Ohio hit the mats again for its third dual of the season.

Ohio made the trip to West Virginia for a rather uneventful meet, as West Virginia dominated Ohio with a team score of 28-9. 

125-pound

Ohio’s Oscar Sanchez was the first competitor on the night, a commonality for the top wrestler at the lightest weight. However, Sanchez was carved up by Killian Cardinale in a 6-2 decision. It was Sanchez’s second loss in the three duals so far this season. 

133-pound

Gio DiSabato was the second-straight Bobcat who lost on a 6-2 decision Friday. DiSabato had not competed since Dec. 10 at Edinboro, and there may have been rust for the redshirt senior as the Mountaineers’ Davin Rhoads made easy work of him. 

141-pound

In his first appearance of the season, sophomore Aidan Waszak continued the slow start for Ohio when he lost via major decision, 14-2. Although he is not the usual wrestler at his weight class, Waszak filled in for Kyran Hagan, who did not participate in the dual.  

149-pound

Alec Hagan, one of Ohio’s most experienced wrestlers, was not active Friday, pushing freshman Pierce Taylor into action. During his collegiate debut in the 149-pound class, Taylor was pinned at 1:11 by West Virginia’s Sam Hillegas. Taylor had only one appearance under his belt prior to Friday night, however, competing in the 141-pound class at the Michigan State Open earlier this season. 

157-pound

Ohio was given a bit of life when Peyten Kellar defeated Alex Hornfeck by a decision score of 8-6. The win continued Kellar’s hot start to the season, keeping his unbeaten 3-0 streak in duals alive. The redshirt freshman has quickly emerged as one of the most exciting wrestlers in the conference at his weight class. 

165-pound

Jordan Slivka, who is looking to make his return to the NCAA Tournament this year, was upset by Peyton Hall in the 165-pound weight class. Not only was Slivka defeated, but 10-3 decision was far from close. It was a bump in the road for the redshirt junior, but he is looking to move forward. 

174-pound

The other at-large competitor in the NCAA Tournament last year, Sal Perrine, had a better night. Perrine dispatched his opponent with an exciting 3-1 overtime victory. The sophomore continues to dominate early in the season, giving Ohio coach Joel Greenlee confidence when slotting Perrine into the lineup on a consistent basis. 

184-pound

Ohio continued to struggle in the 184-pound weight class, Zayne Lehman dropped a close match in a 6-5 decision.

197-pound

The Bobcats earned their third victory as Carson Brewer dominated Ian Bush in a 6-1 decision. Brewer continues to show improvement and increased mobility on the mats coming off his redshirt sophomore season when he went 7-7.

285-pound

The Bobcats couldn’t muster a win in the final match of the night, as Jacob Padilla was pinned at the 2:20 mark. He was dominated by Michael Wolfgram from the opening whistle.

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu