From the Editor’s Desk: Meet the Spring 2023 Digital Director of ‘The Post’

Hello, I’m Anastasia Carter! I’m a junior studying journalism, and I’ve spent the past semester serving as The Post’s assistant audience engagement editor. This semester, I’m excited to be The Post’s digital director. 

After joining this publication in Fall of 2020, despite being at home, I was aware of the numerous opportunities it had to offer. I took advantage of writing for different sections, including Culture, News and The Beat. I joined the audience engagement team, created social media posts and learned about analytics while working as assistant audience engagement editor. I worked with the web development team to create coded special projects. By joining The Post, I’ve been rewarded with a wide assortment of skills that will translate well into the professional field. This semester, I’m ecstatic to impart this knowledge to my fellow Posties and see how we can expand it further. 

Already this semester, the digital staff have numerous things in the works at The Post. The audience engagement staff has introduced daily Instagram stories to our followers. This issue’s cover and project feature art from Art Director Trevor Brighton. The entire project is on our website now coded by yours truly. Later this year, you can expect the introduction of Post TV from Director of Multimedia Cole Patterson. As usual, a photo edition will print in the spring to highlight our photo staff. 

Although this publication continues to print once a week, not all of our content can be put into one issue. Day after day, writers go to protests and events, designers create art, photographers go to games and editors check every last detail to produce content that goes up every day. Our website features pages for each section so you can find content customized to what you are looking for. Even videos from our Youtube and tweets from our Twitter can be found featured on our website.

My goal this semester is to continue supporting our staff to produce digital content that enhances stories and encourages creators to push the limits. Roughly half of Americans say they prefer to get news on a digital platform, according to a Pew Research Center survey. Digital platforms in this include news websites, search, social media or podcasts. Each of these platforms allows for a quicker way to access information, different formats of taking in knowledge and the ability to quickly interact with our content. Thanks to social media, readers can hop on Twitter and share their exact thoughts directly with the story’s author. Youtube allows audiences to view interactive interviews conducted by our multimedia staff. 

As most of those at The Post are studying journalism, it’s important to practice other skills within this field. Broadening skill sets to include photography, illustrations, editing and social media knowledge are all things employers are looking for when hiring today. Putting together a package of media that covers all of these bases is valuable. Most recently, staffer Sophia Young did just that with her project which she reported, photographed and coded. 

This semester, I’m looking forward to continuing increased collaboration across our different staffs and providing new types of content to our audience. I hope you continue to find resourceful content by reading The Post, watching our Youtube and following us on social media.

Anastasia Carter is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University and the digital director of The Post. Want to chat more with her? Email Anastasia at ac732319@ohio.edu or tweet her at @acarter3602.