Here are five first-time nominees ahead of the 95th Academy Awards

Last Tuesday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the nominees for the 95th Academy Awards, with a diverse array of newcomers receiving their first-ever Oscar nominations.

After a history of nominating a majority of white actors and actresses, it seems like the Academy is finally starting to recognize the immense talent coming from groups of people that have long been overlooked.

With this, here are five of this year’s first-time Oscar nominees before the live ceremony airs on March 12:

Michelle Yeoh

It’s no surprise that Michelle Yeoh would be up for contention for “Actress in a Leading Role” for her role in last year’s “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” the blockbuster A24 film that everyone has been talking about since its release in March. What makes her nomination significant is that Yeoh is the first Asian-identifying woman to be recognized in this category, and her lead role as a failing businesswoman battling the IRS makes her performance relatable to all who have been in her character’s shoes. Though she fails, fights and reconciles throughout the film, Yeoh also finds the meaning behind her life, even if it was standing right beside her.

Stephanie Hsu

While Stephanie Hsu was the black sheep for most of the award season, she finally got the praise she deserved for her role as Joy in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” Scoring a nomination for “Actress in a Supporting Role” alongside her co-star Jamie Lee Curtis, it’s evident that Hsu’s emotional transparency and humor are some of her best assets in and outside of the film. Playing the misunderstood villain within the film, Hsu truly emulates what it’s like to not be seen by the people you love most, and how sometimes escaping into fantasy is the most valid option.

Ke Huy Quan

Ke Huy Quan’s comeback to Hollywood after starring in classic films such as “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” and “The Goonies” as a child was heavily noticed after also starring in A24’s “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” Quan, nominated for “Actor in a Supporting Role,” thought his dreams were dead after not receiving as many gigs as an Asian actor, but clearly, after recently winning a recent Golden Globe Award for his performance, it’s evident that he has the capability to win over any audience. 

The 51-year-old plays alongside Michelle Yeoh as her husband, struggling to connect with his wife and wanting a change in his mundane, routine life. His candidness and vulnerable nature only strengthen his character’s personality on screen, and off screen, he’s definitely one of the most humble actors currently out there.

Rihanna

This year, Rihanna is another newcomer to the Oscars after being nominated for “Music (Original Song)” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.” “Lift Me Up” acts as a tribute to the late Chadwick Boseman, who played the superhero until his death in 2020. The ballad is simple, with only the singer’s vocals and strings within the track, creating a sense of peace and comfort as the film discusses loss and rebuilding after a tragedy. Rihanna may be one of the frontrunners, and her win would add even more fuel to her fire coming hot off her highly anticipated Super Bowl LVII Halftime Show performance next month.

Ana de Armas

After the Marilyn Monroe biopic “Blonde” came out in September, the film was widely criticized and praised, especially in regard to the film’s lead, Cuban actress Ana de Armas. Physically, the actress flawlessly pulled off Monroe’s classic blonde bob and royal fashion sense, and also was able to portray the late actress in a new light, one that showed the true darkness of her life and the people who made it that way. de Armas revealed to audiences everywhere that Monroe’s life was not glamorous, nor should it be painted as such. Displaying the highest and lowest peaks of Monroe’s life, the actress was able to leave a significant mark on Hollywood in 2022.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu