Ohio defense Sam Turner (27) fights for the puck from Liberty forward Brett Gammer (92) during the Bobcats' game on Feb. 12, 2022, in Bird Arena.

Hockey: Ohio shocks Liberty in 7-0 shutout

Ohio shocked the American Collegiate Hockey Association Friday by not only beating, but shutting out the No. 3 team in the league at home. Liberty has been a problem for Ohio over the last few seasons, but Ohio didn’t let the past get in its head and dominated Liberty in a 7-0 win. 

Here are the numbers to know from the game: 

5

Five Bobcats scored in the astounding win Friday. Sam Turner kicked things off with the first goal of the night 14 minutes into the game. Andrew Sacca added another three minutes later to give Ohio a commanding 2-0 lead after one period. 

Ohio needed confidence going into its game against Liberty, and the lead gave it enough to score two more goals in the second period. Phil Angervil and Laker Aldridge each scored another goal for Ohio to give it a 4-0 lead after 40 minutes of play. 

The final Bobcat to score Friday was Hollander Thompson, who added his eighth and ninth goals of the season in the third period. Aldridge scored again as well to round out Ohio’s huge offensive night. 

91

Angervil’s goal against the Flames was his first of the season. The sophomore did not play for the first half of the season. His first game was on Jan. 6 against Stony Brook. 

Angervil, who wears No. 91, played a key role on both offense and defense last season. If he continues to play in 2023, the Bobcats will be looking to him make an impact and help them finish the season strong. 

25

Liberty had 25 shots on goal Friday, but goalie Max Karlenzig put a stop to every single one of them. This shutout was arguably the best of the junior’s career, as it came at a pivotal point in the season and against the No. 3 team in the ACHA. 

2

Ohio only had two penalty minutes, and didn’t even commit its only penalty until the final four minutes of the game. The minor penalty was called against J.T. Schimizzi for slashing.

Committing just one penalty is uncharacteristic for the Bobcats, who typically have double digit penalty minutes each game. The Bobcats are a physical team, and were expected to be so against one of their biggest rivals. 

17

Ohio and Liberty have faced off 18 times over the past four seasons prior to this year. However, this is just the fourth time Ohio has beat its frequent opponent since 2018. 

Liberty has been at the top of the ACHA in almost all of its meetings with Ohio, which keeps it hard for Ohio to keep up. However, it got one of its greatest wins against Liberty, and maybe its greatest win this season, at the right time. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu