Ohio guard Miles Brown follows through on his shot against the Toledo Rockets at The Convo in Athens, Ohio on Jan. 21, 2021.

Men's Basketball: Ohio chases Buffalo at last minute, loses 75-72

Ohio kicked off Mid-American Conference play with a trip to Buffalo on Tuesday. Ohio entered the game on a good note after it defeated Chicago State on Dec. 30, but it left Alumni Arena differently. Despite Ohio's best efforts, it lost to Buffalo 75-72. 

The Bobcats had to chase the Bulls in the second half. They stayed close to their opponent, but the Bobcats couldn't surpass the Bulls' lead they gained late in the first half. The Bobcats cut the deficit to two points with 12 seconds to play, but the Bulls remained victors. 

Here are the numbers to know from the loss: 

4

Tuesday marked Ohio's fourth game where the final score was separated by four or less points. Two of those games, against Michigan and Youngstown State, featured buzzer-beaters by Dwight Wilson III

The Bobcats have made it down to the wire in many games this season. Whether it be because they lost a large lead or they've come from behind, dramatic finishes have not been lost on the Bobcats. Tuesday was no different. 

24 

Miles Brown scored a career-high 24 points against the Bulls. The senior sank 4-of-7 3-pointers and had a perfect 6-for-6 night from the free-throw line. Brown also contributed six rebounds. 

Brown has blossomed as a scorer this season. He averages 10.8 points per game, which is just under double what he did in the 2021-22 season. Brown has always been integral to Ohio's lineup, but he's taken on a heavier shooting role this season. 

14 

The Bobcats committed 14 turnovers for the second time this season on Tuesday. Although it isn't the most turnovers the Bobcats have allowed – 16 against Youngstown State – there's room for improvement. 

In each of its losses, except Michigan, Ohio has allowed 12 or more turnovers. The change in momentum has proven costly for Ohio, yet it hasn't found a way to stop them. Ohio must remedy this ailment before conference play picks up in full. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu