Ohio University's Alec Hagen wrestles University of Buffalo's John Arceri at The Convo in Athens, OH, on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2022.

Wrestling: Ohio struggles in annual Virginia Duals

Ohio headed to Virginia this weekend to compete in the annual Virginia Duals. Coming in as a major underdog against some of the best schools in collegiate wrestling, the results were about as one would expect. 

Ohio was absolutely dominated in four straight duals over the two day stretch, being taken down by a wide margin against every school that stood in its way. 

Virginia vs. Ohio 

In its opening match on Friday, Ohio fell to Virginia 23-10. Most of Ohio’s scoring in this dual came in the 157-pound weight class where freshman Peyten Kellar defeated Virginia’s Denton Spencer by major decision after dominating the entire bout. Junior Oscar Sanchez and sophomore Sal Perrine were the only other Bobcats to win their bouts in this first dual, both taking their opponents by decision. 

Maryland vs. Ohio 

In their second and final dual of the first day, Ohio was once again outmatched by a superior opponent, falling 27-13. There wasn’t much to note from this one for the Bobcats, who won four matches against the Terrapins, three by slim margins and one major decision victory from Zayne Lehman.

Oklahoma VS. Ohio

The weekend of duals started to get really ugly for the Bobcats on Saturday. Taking on Oklahoma, Ohio was pummeled 33-6. Once again, nearly every bout seemed to favor the opposition for Ohio. Only Lehman and Austin Starr able to come out on top in their respective weight classes. Something to note from this dual - sophomore Dan Segura left his bout at the 1:00 minute mark with an injury and did not return. 

South Dakota State VS. Ohio 

In their final dual of the weekend, Ohio faced its toughest loss, being crushed by South Dakota State 42-3. Nothing went right for the Bobcats in this concluding dual as one of Ohio’s best wrestlers all season, Perrine, fell by major decision in his bout with Cade DeVos. Several other Bobcats were absolutely outmatched here, in the 133-pound weight class Mason Brugh was pinned in just 2:05. The one bright spot of the dual for Ohio was graduate student Alec Hagan coming out victorious in the 149-pound weight class over Alek Martin by a 5-1 decision. 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu