Ohio's Yaya Felder (2) scores a layup during the game against University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky on Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2022.

Women's Basketball: Ohio drops first MAC game to Akron, 73-64

Ohio (2-10, 0-1 Mid-American Conference) took on Akron (10-2, 1-0 MAC) in the first conference game for either team. Both teams are coming off opposite nonconference schedule successes, as Akron only has two losses on the season, both to Horizon League teams. For Ohio, its two wins of the season came against Indiana State and Dayton in back-to-back victories. 

Going into Wednesday's game, sophomore Yaya Felder led the Bobcats offensively, and that didn't change. Felder scored 22 points, along with six assists and four steals. The Bobcats' kryptonite continues to be the first quarter, as they scored just 12 points going 0-7 from the 3-point line. 

Redshirt junior Abby Garnett added a career-high 18 points for Ohio to go along with her four rebounds. In her fourth start of the season, redshirt junior Jasmine Hale was the third and final Bobcat in double figures as she had 10 points and six rebounds. 

For the Zips, the scoring was spread evenly as every starter scored in double figures. The two top scorers for the Zips were sophomore Reagan Bass, who had 17 points, and redshirt junior Layne Ferrell, who had 16 points and hit 12-12 free throws. 

Ohio's losing skid extended to six games, but this game was a good judgment on how Ohio will perform in MAC play. Despite the outcome, Ohio will go into its next game feeling more confident about how this team plays. 

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu