Ohio University freshmen Jaya McClure drives the baseline during a game against LIU on November 7, 2022, at the Convocation Center

Women's Basketball: Ohio drops seventh straight against Kent State

Ohio returned home to take on Kent State and once again struggled on offense. It only scored double figures in the second and fourth quarter, falling to Kent State 60-44.

The Bobcats (2-11, 0-2 Mid-American Conference) got off to a slow start in the beginning of the game as the Golden Flashes doubled up the home team. Leading 16-8 at the end of the first, they continued to grow their lead.

Shortly before halftime, the Bobcats cut the lead to three points. However, after a couple of fast breaks from the Golden Flashes, their lead grew back to 11 at the break. Kent State (10-3, 2-0 MAC) put the game away in the third quarter, outscoring Ohio 19-9.

Overall, Ohio struggled. It only shot 29.1% from the field and 4.8% from the 3-point line.

Although there wasn't many positives from this game offensively, freshman Jaya McClure continued her strong campaign. She scored 11 points with three rebounds off the bench. Redshirt senior Caitlyn Kroll and redshirt junior Abby Garnett each added seven points, but no other Bobcat scored more than six points.

In the first half when the Bobcats were only down by five, they played confidently. When the Golden Flashes' lead began to grow, it felt as though the air came out of the gym for the Bobcats. When confident in their abilities, the Bobcats can hang with any team in the MAC. They need to continue to grow off of the development of their young players.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu