Ryan Maxin in front of Cutler Hall on College Green.

From the Editor's Desk: A look back at fall, an update for spring

To all of our readers, be you Bobcats or Athens residents: we’re back! 

The start of the Spring Semester is upon us, and I couldn't be happier to start the New Year off right with you and with all of the wonderful staffers we have at The Post. Here’s to 2023 being the best year yet. 

I’d like to take a moment to reflect on some of the changes and improvements The Post went through in the fall, with some recognition to boot. 

Cole Patterson, director of multimedia, and Donovan Hunt, assistant director of multimedia, completely changed the landscape of The Post’s Multimedia section, growing the staff to more than ten times its size in years past. Throughout the Fall Semester, Multimedia has posted several videos and podcasts per week to add a visual, interactive element to The Post’s in-depth content. Several new podcast series have also been created, providing The Post’s audience with listening experiences in the genres of news, pop culture, music, true crime, video games and more. 

Culture Editor Katie Millard and Assistant Culture Editor Alyssa Cruz have left their mark on the Culture section, ushering in a new era of multilingual journalism that has impressed and informed readers in innovative ways. Stories with different languages and different perspectives make The Post’s reporting stronger, and I’m excited to see the stories that come out this semester. 

The introduction of investigative stories in The Post has also been a welcome development to our pages, and it would not have been possible without Projects Editor Hannah Campbell and Investigative Editor Alex Imwalle. The investigation on pages 10 and 11 of this week’s paper is a testament to the potential our writers have for investigative pieces. 

Honestly, our entire staff has worked incredibly hard last semester, and though I can’t name them all, I’m impressed with the work they’ve churned out over the course of the fall. I’m looking forward to even more stellar work from them in the spring!

Though it’s nice to reminisce, I’m also excited to share some updates for the spring semester. My editorial team and I have some creative changes in the works for spring, including new Special Editions of The Post. We are also planning incremental improvements to our website and print design that will allow you all to better engage with the content we publish. 

However, there is a slight drawback to these improvements. Our editorial positions are paid, and due to the hiring of new positions to strengthen and support The Post’s informative purpose, we will be reducing the number of pages in our print edition to 16 or 20 pages as a cost saving measure for the remainder of the academic year. 

My team and I did not take this decision lightly. It’s unfortunate and not the news I wanted to share, but it also ensures The Post will continue to inform Ohio University faculty, staff and students, as well as Athens residents, to the best of its ability. The reduction in pages is likely to be temporary, and I’m confident the change will allow my team and I to financially support everything our wonderful staffers do. 

Thank you for continually reading The Post. This semester, we are committed to outdoing ourselves from the fall semester, which means more content, more stories and more information for you. 

Ryan Maxin is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Interested in chatting more with him? Email Ryan at rm554219@ohio.edu or find him on Twitter at @ryanmaxin