Campbell’s Couture: Best fashion trends for winter 2023

"Fashion is what you're offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose." — Lauren Hutton

The new year is here, and it comes with a new style for a new you. New Year’s resolutions may fade, but fashion is forever. 

Athens has been unseasonably warm this year, which makes it hard to plan outfits for the day. Luckily, these styles can be transitioned for warmer and colder days. Here are the top fashion trends for winter 2023: 

Cargo pants: not just for your dad

Cady Heron wore cargo pants, so you should too. I’m a sucker for street style fashion, and cargo pants are a street staple. This winter, these pants will keep you looking warm and stylish. Do not worry if camouflage isn’t your color. The cargo cut comes in jeans, faux leather and carpenter pants. 

Emily Ratajkowski and Hailey Bieber are just two examples of how the trousers can look super chic. For the warmer winter days, a black turtleneck or neutral colored long-sleeve top will coordinate with the effortless vibe. For the colder days, throw on a puffer coat to add a new level of chic. 

Don’t worry, its faux

Nothing screams winter more than a gigantic fur coat. While the look may be slaying, we do not want it to actually kill. Faux fur coats are not only friendly to the animals, but the intricate patterns and colors elevate any outfit. 

Solid-colored ones like brown, black and white are super sophisticated, but you can also go avant garde and incorporate fun and wacky patterns. A night out uptown is the best setting for a cropped hooded coat. A date party or fancier event is the best for a longer, more elegant coat. Either way, the outfit will be serving yourself and others. 

Thigh-high vibes

Show off those long legs with thigh-high boots this winter. Over-the-knee boots are a show stopping accessory and will make any outfit so much better. 

It is never too cold to wear shorts or a skirt. With thigh-high boots, shorter pants act as a perfect match. Plus, who would want to cover such beautiful footwear? A beautiful, longer blazer with a tweed skirt or shorts gives a professional yet youthful vibe to any occasion. 

Black is the new black

There is never a thing as too much black. You may have worn an all black fit during your emo phase of middle school, but a full black outfit looks super sleek and put together. It made a big impression on fashion this past summer, and it is still continuing into the winter. 

Must have items include faux leather pants and jackets, black knit-dresses and black jeans. To pull the look together, black chelsea boots and faux leather compliment it perfectly. If it’s an especially sunny day, adding a pair of sunglasses will add even more class and professionalism to the outfit. 

Hannah Campbell is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Hannah by tweeting her at @hannahcmpbell.