Tracking Trends: TikTok trends made popular gifts this holiday season

Every year, certain items become especially popular during the holiday season. Some presents become must-haves on everyone's Christmas list and they get sold out in days. Last year it was the Dyson AirWrap. Students react to this year's most popular items and those who made these items so essential. 

TikTok influencers like Darcy McQueeny and Alix Earle made a significant impact on many teenage girls' Christmas lists this year. From beauty products like the Drunk Elephant bronzing drops and the Rare Beauty Blush to comfort pieces the Ultra Mini UGG Slippers or loungewear from the brand Skims, the theme of self care was prominent throughout this year’s holiday season. All of these products went viral on TikTok late last year with the help of influencers.

Being able to buy from these influencer storefronts, essentially a platform with a series of links leading directly to certain products, made it a lot easier for confused parents to shop for their children to get them the exact item they wanted. By using their storefront, the influencers were also able to make a profit off the purchases. 

Once Christmas morning rolled around and all the gifts were open, one’s TikTok feed could be found flooded with Christmas hauls of children big and small showing off their new favorite items. 

Liv Schneider, a sophomore studying wildlife biology, said the items she would consider the most trendy that she was gifted during the holiday season were the Drunk Elephant Moisturizer and a pair of platform converse. 

Schneider said she was inspired by influencer Darcy McQueeny, famous on TikTok for filming “hauls” of items she has received or ordered, to ask for the items she received.

She said although the items were expensive, they were definitely worth it. 

Andie Miller, a sophomore studying special education, said the most trendy things she received for Christmas included the Lululemon fanny pack, a pair of platform Nike Air Force 1 shoes and an iPhone case from Casetify.

Miller said she had many different reasons for putting these items on her list, but added she got the idea of asking for them because of social media as well as many different influencers. 

“I've just really wanted them for a while,” she said. “The phone case I would say is durable. The shoes, I like them because it gives me some more height even though I don't need it. And the fanny pack – I already have one and I know I like it and it's durable and cute.”

Megan Kuenle, a freshman studying integrated mathematics in education, said one of her favorite trendy gifts from this holiday season was receiving a pair of Nike Air Maxes.

She said she and her sister always got a new pair of shoes for Christmas and that since she really loved the design of the shoes, those were the ones she asked for. 

“I give them a ten out of ten,” Kuenle said.

Kuenle also said she received what she referred to as the “viral TikTok perfume,” or the body spray from the brand Sol de Janeiro.

She said the perfume was all over her “For You” page, which is where she got the idea to ask for it for the holidays. 

Jayci Mitchell, a freshman studying marketing, said the trendiest item she got from her list was a new puffer jacket from Abercrombie & Fitch. 

She said she wanted the coat very badly and was thrilled when she received it.

“I've never really considered it cute until I saw everyone else wearing it,” she said.

Mitchell said although the coat had many positive aspects, the comfort and style of it was the best part. 

“My favorite part about it is it makes me look cute while being comfy and warm,” she said.

gc183621@ohio.edu

@gabriellecab1