The underground roundup: Will Wood, Fat Night, Los Campesinos!, Dom Fera

It’s easy to become trapped in the cycle of listening to the same popular artists over and over again. While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying popular artists, sometimes you need a palate refresher, and we’ve compiled a few of them here.

Will Wood

Will Wood can be described in only one word: eccentric. His music combines jazz, rock, pop and folk for a distinct sound. Songs like, “I/Me/Myself” wholeheartedly embrace this unconventional vibe, creating a style that is nearly rocky-horror-esque in how he depicts the balance of masculinity and femininity through the voice of an unhinged narrator. Other songs like “Cicada Days” or “Love me Normally” takes a more low-key approach, beginning softly before crescendoing into a dramatic, fast-paced, almost manic bridge. Still, others tackle heavy subjects like death in a nihilistic, somewhat deranged way, as seen in songs like “Memento Mori: The Most Important Thing in the World.”

Most recommended track: “Cicada Days”

Fat Night

Chicago based indie-soul band Fat Night embraces a smooth, warm style, perfect for summer days spent lazing in the sun. However, there is a distinct dichotomy in their songs, with some like “The Warmth” and “Sun Go Down” maintains a relaxed, loose vibe with slow keyboard and light guitar that feel like a day at the beach set to music. Others, however, such as “Question” adds a psychedelic touch to raw lyrics, creating an overall much more funky and 70’s-inspired sound.

Most recommended track: “Honest Man”

Los Campesinos!

Combining grunge sounds with a slightly poppier beat is Los Campesinos!. The British indie rock band emerged in the late 2000s and has been consistently putting out albums since then. The group’s instrumental style is marked by overdriven guitars, fast-paced drumming and an oft-faint yet still noticeable xylophone. The lyrics, on the other hand, are often angst-filled, whilst still embracing a slightly tongue-in-cheek approach. This is exemplified in songs like “Romance is Boring,” which while explaining the angst and frustration of a relationship gone stale, the blunt lyrics filled with sexual references and innuendo keep it a bit more light and palatable. This is furthered in “Straight in at 101,” which describes the end of a relationship in a way that is both extremely honest and extremely explicit in nature, creating an angsty self-awareness to their music.

Most recommended track: “Knee Deep at ATP

Dom Fera

Dom Fera is relatively new to the indie scene, only putting out music since 2018. However, he has already established himself as a versatile artist. His music varies wildly in style, with songs like “The Reckoning” is fast-paced and piano driven, giving it an almost Elton John-esque vibe. Others like “Anybody Else” has a heavier beat and a Halloween-y sound, which is embraced in the music video where Fera is seen dancing with a cartoonish sheet ghost. Still others like “Neighborhood” has the lyrics take center stage, explaining the feeling of being at a low point in life in a melancholic yet still somewhat optimistic way. 

Most recommended track: “Neighborhood”

@alicia_szcz

as589820@ohio.edu