Here’s everything you need to know about ‘Hogwarts Legacy’

With the release of the new Harry Potter-themed game, “Hogwarts Legacy,” there has been a lot of talk on social media about the game and the franchise as a whole. From how well-made the game is, to the addition of a transgender character within the universe, there is much to discuss. Without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about “Hogwarts Legacy:”

Overview of “Hogwarts Legacy”

“Hogwarts Legacy,” developed by Avalanche Studios, is a role-playing game that allows you to be a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where users are free to explore the “Harry Potter” world. Players are allowed to create and customize their own character, even being able to get sorted by the Sorting Hat. 

They are then thrust into the Wizarding World, tasked with finding out a secret about the harnessing of ancient magic, which could risk the integrity of the Wizarding World as a whole. Players who have read the “Harry Potter” novels will feel right at home with “Hogwarts Legacy,” as the game is based directly on the books.

Game review

The game has received favorable reviews from critics, stating that “Hogwarts Legacy” allows players to feel like they’re actually in the world of “Harry Potter.” The characters that you meet throughout the story are interesting, with entertaining backstories to learn. “Hogwarts Legacy” also features a combat system, where wizards can face off against numerous different monsters. 

It is up to the player to decide how they want their experience to go, which is a nice change of pace from the linear storyline that video games often have. There is much to explore in “Hogwarts Legacy,” from admiring the beautiful graphics to observing the wildlife featured in the game. 

The introduction of the first transgender character in the “Harry Potter” world

With the release of “Hogwarts Legacy,” came the introduction of the first openly transgender character in the “Harry Potter” franchise, Sirona Ryan. Ryan is the proprietor of the Three Broomsticks Inn, a location the player can visit in the game. 

There has been backlash over Ryan’s name being overtly masculine, having “sir” as the first syllable of her name while her surname follows this masculine trend as well.  The name, “Sirona'' could be a reference to the Celtic god of healing; however, some audiences believe it’s a transphobic dog whistle to devalue the LGBTQIA+ community.

Controversy

On top of the Sirona Ryan controversy, there is the problem of J.K Rowling, the creator of the “Harry Potter” universe. Her transphobic remarks on Twitter lead audiences to have mixed opinions on anything related to her. Because Rowling gains royalties on “Harry Potter” related sales, people have boycotted the game to shine a light on Rowling’s transphobic actions. 

Another issue featured in “Hogwarts Legacy” is the depiction of goblins, one of the game’s fantasy races. Their appearances in the game are similar to anti-semitic depictions of the Jewish community, having hooked noses. Even worse, one of the goblin items featured in the game is a horn that is shaped similarly to a Shofar, a Jewish musical instrument.

To make matters worse, the game’s story revolves around a goblin rebellion that took place in 1612.  Coincidentally, there was a Jewish riot that took place in 1612, which involved violence against the Jewish population. Many audiences have pointed out that all of these decisions could not have been coincidental, but rather an attack on the Jewish community.

These decisions have torn audiences about whether it’s moral to play “Hogwarts Legacy.” The gameplay is interesting and engaging, while the politics of the game is complicated. 

@AdamVince11

av207218@ohio.edu