Five fun activities to do during springtime in Athens

With winter making people stay inside to get away from the cold, there can be a desire to go outside and enjoy life. Luckily, spring weather is approaching, which means you can go explore the outdoors without needing to worry about freezing temperatures. So, here are five activities you can do in Athens, Ohio this spring.

Go for a hike

Athens has many trails for you to explore. From the local trails on campus to trails found in Strouds Run, there are plenty of options to choose from. Depending on the day you choose, you may want to bring an umbrella to account for any precipitation on that day. Also, if you plan on walking one of the longer trails, packing some trail mix can help with your nutritional intake. 

Proper hydration is also important to prevent overheating or dehydration, so carrying a bottle of water with you is a great way to stay healthy during your hike. Because Athens contains many hills, you may want to pack enough water to sustain yourself on the steeper hikes. 

Play outdoor sports

Playing sports with your friends is a great way to spend an afternoon, and now that the winter season is over, it’s much easier to play outside without worrying about dangerous conditions. The only thing that should be on your mind is deciding which sport to play.

There are many fields or basketball courts available to use on campus if you’re looking for a sport that requires some setup, like a net. A great thing about Athens is that there are many open fields, so sports like soccer or football are easy to pick up and play. You can try and invite some friends along with you to get a massive game going, which can make your day action-packed. Overall, Athens’ terrain allows for a lot of fun because of the various sports you can play in it.

Have a picnic

If you want the fun of the outdoors without needing to exert yourself heavily, then having a relaxing picnic could be a wonderful idea. It’s important to choose a day where the weather is clear and temperate, so you can avoid conditions that potentially ruin your picnic. 

The great part about picnics is that you can choose your favorite food item to enjoy while basking in the sun. If you are unsure about what to pack, then here are some healthy food ideas to consider.

Go sunbathing

It can be arduous to find a good time to sunbathe in other seasons, because of high or low temperatures. However, spring’s moderate weather alongside its sunny days makes sunbathing easy and comfortable to do. 

There still are precautions that you take in order to maximize your safety while sunbathing, however. It’s important to pack enough sunscreen to be safe while sunbathing. Successful sunbathing can lead to an increase of vitamins and boost your immune system. You can also choose the way you want to sunbathe, whether you want to set up a hammock in the sun or lay out a towel and relax; it’s all up to you.

Tend to a garden

It’s a perfect time to start gardening now that winter is over, but you need to know some tips to be successful at it. First of all, you need to find a location where crops can grow. Many houses have outdoor areas that can support the growth of crops, but you may not have any available space.

If you live in a dorm or any other space without outdoor soil, then growing a potted plant is a good alternative. Well-known plants like daisies can live in small containers, so it’s possible to grow a successful garden without being outdoors.

Shown below is a video that can provide useful tips for gardening beginners, check it out if you’re interested.

@AdamVince11

av207218@ohio.edu