Katie Millard named next editor-in-chief of 'The Post'

Katie Millard, The Post's current Culture editor, was chosen by The Post Publishing Board on Friday to be the publication's editor-in-chief for the 2023-24 academic year.

A junior studying journalism with a history minor and social media certificate, Millard has been involved with The Post since the fall of her sophomore year. She was appointed Culture editor in Spring 2022, and she has also worked with multiple other staffs, including News, Photo, Opinion and Projects. 

“She represented a good balance between innovation, trying something new and then preserving the things that worked and building upon those,” said Hans Meyer, chair of the Publishing Board and a journalism professor at Ohio University.

Millard had a “fire in her stomach to get things done” when she was appointed Culture editor, said current Editor-in-Chief Ryan Maxin. Throughout her presentation to the Publishing Board, Maxin felt she demonstrated the ability to carry her drive through to the role of editor-in-chief, he said.

Maxin and Meyer each highlighted their excitement for Millard’s goals in the position. 

“I love the idea that she has this open-door policy or that she'll have office hours, that she'll be there, that anybody who wants to come can talk to her," Meyer said. "It seems like a really little thing, but I think that's a really good gesture that sets a tone for the rest of the newsroom."

When it comes to staffing, Millard plans to rework where funds are allocated to ensure each section has the support it needs, Maxin said.

Millard plans to ensure that The Post's coverage is not limited to student issues but those affecting the Athens community as well. She also plans to prioritize making The Post's newsroom a welcoming environment. 

“It's not just the student population, but also Athens as a whole, and that involves really committing to diversity, equity and inclusion,” Millard said. “I'd love for that to expand to other sections of The Post. I'd like to increase collaborations with the (equity director), and I have plans in terms of recruiting more people and just making The Post as welcoming as possible. I want people to want to be here.”

Millard's term as editor-in-chief will start in early May. 

@AnnaMillar16

am157219@ohio.edu