Ohio University's Yaya Felder (2) shoots a free throw against Ball State at the Convocation Center on Jan. 28, 2023.

Women's Basketball: Ohio's defense fades in road loss to Kent State

The positive energy that Ohio has been playing with halted on Wednesday night after its 82-56 defeat against in-state rival Kent State (18-8, 10-5 Mid-American Conference).

Before Wednesday, the Bobcats (6-20, 4-11 MAC) had won two of their last three games, including an exciting win on Saturday that saw the Bobcats score 57 points in the first half. The win brought the Bobcats close to the top eight in the conference and a berth in the MAC Tournament. Wednesday's game against the Golden Flashes, however, brought the Bobcats down to earth for the time being.

Ohio's young backcourt put the team in front with Yaya Felder and Jaya McClure combining for the first 10 points, but Ohio went on a four minute scoring drought and trailed by two after the first quarter.

The Golden Flashes scoring run didn't stop after the first quarter. They opened the second quarter with a 14-5 scoring run to take a 31-20 lead. McClure and Felder stepped up with the last six points of the first half to bring the Bobcats within five at halftime.

The Golden Flashes offense scored on their first three possessions coming out of halftime to take a 12-point lead. Felder and McClure made buckets to lessen the Bobcats' deficit, but the Golden Flashes scored the next 13 points and had a 23-point lead.

Any hope the Bobcats had of pulling off an upset was stomped out early in the fourth quarter with another Golden Flashes 9-0 scoring run. However, Felder continued to fight and scored 10 points in the fourth quarter. The Golden Flashes ultimately still won the game 82-56.

Felder finished as the Bobcats' leading scorer with 24 points and a team-high six rebounds. McClure was the Bobcats second leading scorer with 12 points.

The Bobcats remain only a game and a half out of eighth place in the MAC, but they must win their last three games if they want a chance at the MAC Tournament.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu