Ohio University's Yaya Felder (2) shoots a free throw against Ball State at the Convocation Center on Jan. 28, 2023.

Women's Basketball: Ohio looks for second MAC win against Eastern Michigan

Ohio (3-16, 1-7 Mid-American Conference) is looking to pick up some steam with a win over Eastern Michigan (11-8, 3-5 MAC). 

Since 2005, the Bobcats and Eagles have had a very competitive series, but the Eagles have a slight edge. The Eagles have won 13 of the last 24 games between the two teams. Recently, however, the Bobcats have been the better team. Since the 2018-19 season, the Bobcats have won three of the last four games. Last year the Bobcats beat the Eagles 66-53.

Game Information

Opponent: Eastern Michigan

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: George Gervin GameAbove Center (Ypsilanti, Michigan)

How to watch: ESPN+

Meet the opponent

Head Coach: Fred Castro (seventh season)

Probable Starters

03 Irekpitan Ozzy-Momodu

10 ZaNiya Nelson

11 Lachelle Austin

14 Natalia Pineda 

21 Ce'Nara Skanes 

Things to know:

• The Eagles had a successful nonconference slate in which they went 8-3, including a win over Xavier. After winning their first game in MAC play, the Eagles lost four straight games in conference, all of which were by ten or more points. The Eagles responded with back-to-back wins but most recently lost in overtime to Toledo.
  • The Eagles have excelled this season on the glass. The Eagles lead the MAC in rebounding margin and are fourth in the MAC in offensive rebounds. The Eagles' defense efficiency is also among the best in the MAC. The Eagles have allowed opponents to shoot only 39.4% from the field, which is the fourth-best in the MAC.
  • The Eagles are led in scoring by redshirt junior Ce'Nara Skanes, who averages 12.7 points per game. In the Eagles' overtime loss to Toledo, Skanes went for 23 points, going 10-16 from the field.

Keys to the game:

The Bobcats will need to be strong on the glass, going up against one of the best rebounding teams in the conference. Additionally, the Bobcats will have to be ready to go against a balanced offensive attack where all five starters are capable of scoring. The Bobcats, meanwhile, have struggled to get major offensive contributions outside of Yaya Felder. If the Bobcats want to win their second MAC game of the year, they will need strong play from all of their contributors on both sides of the court.

@GorbettBobby 

bg238320@ohio.edu