Ohio University softball teams bench celebrating after a big out in the second inning against Ohio State at Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio, on March 22, 2022.

Softball: Ohio finishes 1-3 in Camel Stampede Tournament

Ohio had a disappointing weekend at the Camel Stampede Tournament. After a four-game slate against some difficult competition, the Bobcats will most likely come home unsatisfied after winning one of four games.

Friday

Rider

Ohio had an early 9 a.m. start to its day against Rider, and luckily Ohio pitcher Skipp Miller was very effective. Miller threw a complete-game shutout for a 3-0 win.

The Bobcats gave Miller some run support in the first inning when Annalia Paoli hit a triple to drive Yasmine Logan home. Logan later caused the Broncs more issues in the third inning when she drew a walk. Alexis Dawe was able to drive Logan home from second with a single.

In the bottom half of the third inning, Miller was able to pitch around a bases-loaded jam with only one out. The Bobcats' defense got the lead runner out at home, and the Broncs' next batter grounded out to second, and the inning ended with the Bobcats still up 2-0.

The Broncs' next chance to score runs was in the bottom of the fifth with runners on second and third base. Miller struck out Olivia Burroughs and forced the next Broncs' Hitter to ground out. The Bobcats added to their lead in the next inning when Shelby Westler doubled to bring home Cici Keidel from first.

Miller maintained her scoreless game when Keidel threw out a runner at third to win the game for the Bobcats.

Westler led the Bobcats with two hits and was one of three players to have an RBI. Paoli and Dawe both went 1-4 respectively, but both had a clutch RBI that helped the Bobcats prevail. Miller gave up six hits over her seven inning shut out.

Wagner

Ohio didn't get the same start in its second game of the day against Wagner and fell 5-2. The Seahawks loaded the bases with nobody out in the third inning, and a groundout put the Seahawks up a run. The bases remained loaded after an infield hit and subsequent strikeout, but Mackenzie Vogler brought home two runners to make the score 3-0.

The Bobcats responded in the third inning when Logan's single brought home Westeler. However, the Bobcats committed an error in the sixth and allowed an RBI single to place them in a bigger hole.

The Bobcats had one last chance in the bottom of the seventh with the bases loaded and only one out, but the Bobcats only managed to score one run and lost the game.

Emma Hoffner and Belle Hummel both had multi-hit games in the Bobcats' loss and Logan was the only Bobcat to record an RBI.

Saturday

The Bobcats drew first blood in their Saturday showdown against the Camels when Alexis Dawe hit an RBI single in the third inning. However, in the top of the fourth, the Camels had the bases loaded with only one out and a Bobcat error brought two runners in to score.

Allyiah Swiney hit an RBI single which scored another runner, and another error gave the Camels a lead. Paoli helped the Bobcats answer in the top of the fifth, with an RBI single, but the Bobcats couldn't do any more damage in the inning. Another error allowed the Camels to restore their three-run lead in the bottom of the sixth.

With one last hope in the top of the seventh, Paoli started a rally with a single. Dawe brought Paoli in with an RBI triple in the next at-bat, and Dawe eventually came in to score on a passed ball. The Bobcats only trailed by a run, but they failed to get another runner on base and lost the game 5-4.

Hummel had a productive day, as the Bobcats' leadoff hitter. She went 2-3 and scored a run. Paoli led the team with three hits and scored a team-high two runs. Dawe finished the day 2-4 with two RBIs.

Sunday

Ohio was faced with a difficult task against No. 14 Duke, who it lost 7-0.

The Bobcats' chances were slim after an early barrage of offense from the Blue Devils. A sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first inning got the Blue Devils on the board first. The Blue Devils added four runs to their lead in the second after a two-RBI single from Francesca Frelick, and two more runners came into score due to a fielder's choice.

Sarah Goddard hit an RBI triple to add to the Blue Devils lead, and she came into score after a throwing error in the bottom of the third.

The closest the Bobcats' offense got to starting a rally was in the top of the fourth with two runners on base and nobody out. However, two groundouts and a pop-out spoiled the Bobcats' chances of scoring.

Paoli and Dawe finished as the only Bobcats to record a hit on Sunday. However, Miller had another productive day. Miller pitched four innings and only gave up one earned run on two hits.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu