Sophomore Yaya Felder (2) goes to shoot a basket against Bowling Green in the Convo on Feb. 8, 2023.

Women's Basketball: Ohio unable to exact revenge on MAC's top team

Ohio (5-19, 3-10 Mid-American Conference) traveled to Muncie, Indiana Wednesday to take on the MAC's top team in Ball State (22- 4, 12-1 MAC). Coming into this game, Ohio had just beaten Northern Illinois at home on a last-second shot. It was Ohio's first home win of the season and its third conference victory.

In the first quarter, the Bobcats took advantage of a sluggish start from both sides to lead 12-11 going into the second. The Bobcats shot just 5-13 while the Cardinals shot an even worse 4-17. Ball State quickly reversed course in the second quarter as it took the lead and quickly opened up the margin, outscoring Ohio by 18 in the second.

Ohio was 3-10 from the field and 1-7 from behind the arc in the second quarter, while Ball State went 10-14 from the field and 3-4 from long range. The story did not change in the second half as a strong performance on both sides of the ball from Ball State grew its lead to a final score of 78-53.

The offensive attack from the Cardinals was a balanced one led by the graduate student from Iceland, Thelma Dis Agustsdottir, who scored 34 points on 11-17 shooting and 9-13 from three. Ball State also had two other double digit scorers in Anna Clephane and Madelyn Bischoff, who had 15 and 14, respectively.

It was a similar story for the Bobcats on the offensive side of the ball as Yaya Felder led the team with 19 points. Kailah Johnson had a strong performance as well for the Bobcats as she had a quick five points early in the game and finished with eight total and did not miss a shot. 

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu