Lillian’s Lowdown: We have to adopt a 4-day workweek

You should get paid for working less. I’m not kidding. U.K. employers have just finished trialing a four-day workweek with 61 companies and roughly 2,900 employees. The benefits of a standard four-day workweek greatly outnumber those of the current five-day workweek that we abide by in the U.S. American businesses should take the hint: the four-day workweek is the way of the future.

The establishment of a five-day 40-hour workweek was a monumental victory for workers. Henry Ford was one of the first U.S. employers to recognize the benefits of a schedule that provided Saturdays off. He reasoned that if workers had more money and more leisure time, they would spend more. Although this new schedule represented a win for laborers, an upgrade to the four-day 32-hour workweek trialed by the U.K. provides many more benefits for both companies and employees.

The results the U.K. trial yielded are promising for both staff who find themselves exhausted by the five-day workweek and for companies who are considering executing a similar plan. In the trial, all companies were required to reduce hours and maintain the same level of pay. It was up to the companies which three days employees would have off. After the trial’s conclusion, 92% of the companies that participated decided to continue with the four-day workweek model.

Some fear that the implementation of a four-day workweek would only lead to more burnout and less productivity. If the four-day workweek becomes the standard, would that mean four days with longer hours, or less productivity due to time constraints, or work that spills over into promised days off? What if a team has a project but cannot collaborate on it due to employees having different days off? 

If companies closely follow the methods of the U.K. trial, none of that will be a problem. In the trial, employees only worked 32 hours, but their salaries were preserved. This reduction in hours actually resulted in 71% less burnout, with over half of employees reporting improved work-life balance. As for team collaboration, many companies considered this and opted for the “fifth day stoppage” method, which meant simply suspending work for every employee for one day out of the week. Other options included individuals taking alternating days off or an overall reduction of hours across the year. The trial offered several different methods for companies to take, knowing that a one-size-fits-all four-day workweek would not benefit every business.

Overall, the U.K. trial has proven beneficial to both the companies and the staff who participated. It only makes sense for U.S. businesses to follow suit. Hopefully, the U.S. employers will recognize the changing tide and adapt to the superior four-day model. That way, companies will enjoy rising productivity, employees will have more leisure time and less stress, and all gain an extra day off.

Lillian Barry is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts? Let Lillian know by tweeting her at @lillianbarry_.