Ohio point guard, Miles Brown (2) goes for a layup against University of Akron defense. The Bobcats beat the Zips 90-81 in the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio on Feb. 10, 2023.

Ohio point guard, Miles Brown (2) goes for a layup against University of Akron defense. The Bobcats beat the Zips 90-81 in the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio on Feb. 10, 2023. | Ryan Grzybowski

February 20, 2023

Meet Miles Brown

Men's Basketball: Get to know Miles Brown

By Will Cunningham | Sports Editor

Miles Brown is one of three players on Ohio’s roster who has spent at least three years with the program. He is also one of two players who has been in Athens for head coach Jeff Boals’ entire tenure.

Brown is having a career year in his senior season, averaging career-highs in points, assists and rebounds. He is also shooting a career-best 45.8% from 3-point range, good for second in the Mid-American Conference.

Earlier this year, The Post chatted with Brown about what he listens to on road trips, his brother, and his paintball skills:

The Post: When you guys are traveling, what are three things you make sure you have with you?

Brown: My game shoes, a toothbrush and my headphones.

TP: What’s your go-to shoe?

Brown: I don’t really have a specific go-to. I’m in a rotation right now between the Trae Youngs and two pairs of the Harden 6s.

TP: When you’ve got your headphones in, what are you listening to?

Brown: If it’s a long road trip, I like to listen to some podcasts or watch a movie. I also listen to music, some rappers from my hometown, and some other artists.

Describe image here

Ryan Grzybowski | For The Post

Ohio guard Miles Brown shoots a layup over Miami defenders at the Convo on Feb. 4, 2023.

TP: When you’re not on the road or practicing and you’ve got a few hours to kill, what’s your go-to hobby?

Brown: My brother (Michael Brown) has a YouTube channel, AyoItsMike, on YouTube doing gun reviews. I help him out, record some videos and work on my aim a little bit off the court.

TP: I’ve asked a couple of guys about you all playing paintball in the offseason, and a bunch of them said you were the best.

Brown: I have a lot of practice firing paintball and airsoft guns. I’m really into outdoor stuff like fishing. My brother has really guided me to outdoor stuff like that. But there was a lot of competition out there, even Coach Boals was out there with his son, Chase. We were all having a blast out there.

TP: You guys took a trip to Spain in the offseason, what was your favorite part of that?

Brown: My favorite part of the trip was probably the tours. It seemed like we were walking for miles and miles, but it was so fun to see the architecture, the views, meeting people and trying to speak Spanish. I loved enjoying the city, and also our competition, we played a lot of good teams.

TP: You’re one of the veterans on this team, what has it been like to have such a young roster with a lot of new faces?

Brown: It’s forcing me to step up and not just lead by example but become a more vocal leader. A lot of these guys haven’t played college basketball before this year, so I have the upper hand playing three years already. This will be my fourth year, so just being a vocal leader and telling the guys what to do and what coach expects. It’s better when it comes from a player rather than a coach.

AUTHOR: Will Cunningham
EDITOR: Ashley Beach
COPY EDITOR: Aya Cathey
PHOTOGRAPHER: Ryan Grzybowski and Jesse Jarrold-Grapes
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter