describe pic here

February 14, 2023

Lately with Layne

How to slay this Valentine’s Day

By Layne Rey | For The Post

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, this Valentine’s Day should be about self love. In a world full of more comparison and toxicity than ever, using at least one day of the year as a time to fully delve into self-love is necessary. Here are some things I recommend doing in the name of self-love this February 14.

Buy yourself flowers

If you won’t take it from me, Miley Cyrus would also tell you to go buy yourself flowers. Having fresh flowers on your desk or kitchen table can change the space completely for a fairly low price. Picking out the perfect ones that look and smell the best to you is so refreshing.

Have something sweet

Valentine’s Day is just the same as any other holiday — a day to indulge without any care. If you have access to a kitchen, there are numerous pink and red recipes that are sure to get you in the right spirit. If not, the Court Street CVS is always a short walk away with a wide selection of festive candy and chocolates.

Listen to an upbeat playlist or podcast

Music and podcasts are one of the best ways to be alone but not feel lonely. As cheesy as that is, it can be hard to be alone on Valentine’s Day. However, going on a hot girl walk while listening to this playlist or making chocolate covered strawberries while listening to this podcast could change the vibe of your Valentine’s Day.

Take yourself on a date

Whether you have dinner plans with a significant other or plan to stay in for the night, take yourself on a little date at some point in the day. It could be something as simple as walking over to Brenen’s to grab a coffee or buying yourself that lunch you haven’t had yet in an attempt to save money.

Find a rom-com to watch

Finding the perfect rom-com to watch on Valentine’s Day is key. There is something so peaceful in making popcorn and snuggling up to watch one of these movies. Whether you do this by yourself, with your significant other or with your friends, it will be a great time.

Take care of yourself

Self-care is one of the most rewarding ways to show yourself love. Doing a simple face mask, painting your nails, journaling, exercising, drinking water, taking an “everything” shower and anything similar can drastically change your mood and entire day.

Go celebrate

If it’s your thing, go celebrate Valentine’s Day out on Court Street. Get dressed up in your best red and pink and have a fun night with those you love.

Get yourself a gift

Valentine’s Day is the excuse you’ve been waiting for to buy that item that has been sitting in your cart. Even if you have a significant other getting you a gift, you still have to show yourself some love. If that’s in the form of a serotonin-filled package, so be it.

From me to you, Happy Valentine’s Day!

Layne Rey is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.

AUTHOR:Layne Rey
EDITOR: Tate Raub
COPY EDITOR: Ryan Maxin
PHOTOGRAPHER: Aliza Dutt
WEB DEVELOPMENT: Anastasia Carter