The Athena Cinema on Court Street in Athens, Ohio.

'Classics and Cocktails' continues

This weekend join a friend or two uptown at the Athena, 20 S. Court St., for a showing of “Clue” and pair it with a refreshing specialty cocktail made especially to coincide with the featured film. 7 p.m. this Friday, Feb. 10 is the second installment of the Athena’s “Classics and Cocktails” new film series which continues every Friday throughout February. 

The “Classics and Cocktails” film series is in celebration of the Athena’s new permanent liquor license. Each of the films being shown throughout February was chosen to go along with an iconic drink associated with the film, in addition to a new drink list consisting of local beers, ciders and delicious mocktails.

Alexandra Kamody, the director of the Athena Cinema, wanted to come up with a fun way to roll out their new drink service, and what better way to do it than with what the Athena does best: classic movies. She says there is nothing quite like the Athena’s experience and everyone should grab a friend to come and see why. 

“This is something that’s for everyone,” said Kamody. “Kids can come you know, seniors can come, all ages are welcome.”

Originally hitting theaters in 1985, the mystery thriller based on the fan-favorite board game, “Clue” takes place in an isolated mansion. Six guests are blackmailed into an invitation by an unknown person, and as the game goes, someone is murdered and each of the guests must solve the mystery before they are all framed as victims. 

According to Rotten Tomatoes, “Clue” has an 86% audience score and 68% rotten tomatoes score. Critics claim although less on the scary side, there is plenty of comedic relief and loveable characters to follow as the film goes on. 

Anna Jones, a freshman studying integrated social studies, is a big fan of the film “Clue.” As a regular at the theater and a movie lover, Jones thinks the movie is a must-see.

“I think it’s really funny,” Jones said. “I think it’s something that you should definitely see with friends.”

The movie “Clue” was chosen as one of the films to play due to its popularity with the Athena’s employees. Employees enjoy playing the board game “Clue” together as a pastime during downtime in shifts. Patricia Porter, a senior and the marketing manager at the Athena, loves the atmosphere she works in. 

“I think it's a good way for the co-workers to bond and get to know each other, especially because we have a lot of new people,” she said.

Porter says that seeing “Clue” this weekend will be a great way to see a classic film while still getting the full movie theater experience with drinks, popcorn and a lot of laughter.

For each of the featured films in February, there is a specialty drink to go along with the theme of the film. This weekend, the Miss Scarlet cocktail – a French martini – will be featured and match up with the movie’s character. As always, the Athena will also feature classic movie theater popcorn and soft drinks alongside specialty cocktails. 

In addition to the main event, one of the biggest collectors of “Clue” memorabilia, Clint Haller, will be present as a precursor to the movie. Haller is a resident of Athens and is coming to display many of his collectibles for audience members to view before the show. 

The “Classics and Cocktails” film series has been popular with students and Athens residents alike. The showing of “The Shining” during the first weekend of February sold out of tickets and drinks. Kamody urges everyone who wants to come to arrive early, not only to check out the memorabilia on display but to ensure they get their drinks and seats while supplies last.

“We really want everyone to enjoy it because it’s just this heart of uptown,” said Kamody, referencing the Athena’s unique experience. “It’s thrived and adapted and survived fires and it’s just a really cool piece of Athens that I think every student at OU should have an experience there.”

The remaining Fridays in February will feature other classics such as “Breakfast at Tiffany's” on Feb. 17 and “The Big Lebowski” on Feb. 24.

The Athena is no doubt an iconic place in Athens and with the classic film “Clue” on the menu for Friday for just $8 admission, going this weekend is almost a no-brainer. Experience the “Classics and Cocktails” feature this weekend with a few friends and even a few drinks. 

aj205621@ohio.edu

@abbyjenks18