Ohio University softball teams bench celebrating after a big out in the second inning against Ohio State at Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio, on March 22, 2022.

Softball: Ohio looks to extend winning streak in midweek series against Akron

Coming off the most successful weekend of the season, Ohio will turn its attention to a trio of midweek games against Akron. 

The Bobcats were able to dominate Bowling Green on the road to pick up a sweep where they outscored the Falcons 27-6.

Here is the information for Ohio’s series against Akron:

Game Information:

Opponent: Akron

Dates and Times: March 28 at 3 p.m. and March 29 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Live stats for the series can be found here

Meet the opponent

Individual statistics leaders

Batting average: Brooke Sivek (.362)

OPS: Laurel DeVoe (1.034)

Hits: Sivek (34)

Home runs: DeVoe and Alexis Campbell (1)

RBI: Campbell (21)

Innings pitched: Haley Croyle (71.1 IP)

Strikeouts: Croyle (64)

ERA: Croyle (1.47)

Notes

Akron, like Ohio, is in the first season under a new head coach. Craig Nicholson is coming from Texas A&M-Kingsville, but also spent time with Arizona State for two seasons, taking them to the NCAA Tournament both years. One of the hallmarks of Nicholson’s managerial ideologies is pitching. Akron has adopted this ideal, leading to fabulous pitching numbers, albeit subpar offensive outputs. Regardless, Akron poses an interesting challenge for Ohio as it has arguably the best pitching staff from top to bottom in the MAC. 

Series History

Although Ohio might not be the historically dominant softball program that other conference foes are, it has dominated Akron in recent seasons. Ohio has won 13 out of the last 14 meetings between the schools. This streak, though, does come at the heels of a stretch where Akron was victorious in eight of 11 matchups. The streakiness in this series makes the upcoming meeting even more intriguing to see if recent trends will continue. 

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu