Album Review: ‘Endless Summer Vacation’ may not be Miley Cyrus’ best work, still makes her one of pop’s best artists

In the world of mainstream pop, Miley Cyrus has always been constantly monitored, especially during her dramatic transformation in sound, style and behavior in her 2013 "Bangerz" era. 10 years later, the singer has grown significantly and it shows. The release of her 10th studio album, "Endless Summer Vacation," is a body of work all about the light and dark sides of getting older.

Cyrus, now 30, has undergone a lot as a female musician. Practically all of her personal life has been exposed to the public eye after divorcing actor Liam Hemsworth in 2020. Making a punk rock album that year as well, the singer finally received the recognition she deserved, dominating the genre with her gravelly voice and iconic collaborations with rock stars like Billy Idol and Joan Jett.

While "Plastic Hearts" was arguably Cyrus' rebirth as an artist, her new project has already gained critical acclaim, with its lead single "Flowers" reaching No.1 on various music charts throughout the world. This track in particular, is one of the standouts on this record, a play on words of Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man," and a song that is all about owning one's narrative after a devastating breakup.

Another standout is definitely "Jaded," which follows "Flowers" as the second track on the album. Cyrus' vocals are simply some of her best on this track, the artist ripping off the bandaid to a wound caused by one's infidelity. Belting out, "I'm sorry that you're jaded / I could've taken you places / You're lonely now and I hate it / I'm sorry that you're jaded," this song is a true sign of acknowledgment by the singer, not falling into the trap that many women face in a still semi-traditional society of taking the blame for their partner's mistakes.

The singer has said that her album can be split into two sides, with its first five tracks representing the a.m. and the last eight representing the p.m. These themes are clear as the album starts off light and airy as if you're entering the early days of summer, hence the title, but then changes into a synth-pop dark fantasy that is gritty and vulnerable, two sides to Cyrus that the public eye has seen before with her past works.

This artistic choice makes "Endless Summer Vacation" work, but other songs on the record don't match the themes the singer has worked so hard to execute. For example, the collaborations on this album are extremely underwhelming, which is sad to hear, especially on "Thousand Miles (feat. Brandi Carlile)." Carlile can hardly be heard at all; if there was more synchronicity between the two singers, the track would've instantly been a hit.

Meanwhile, "Muddy Feet (feat. Sia)" doesn't fit on this album at all, almost a controversial duet as Sia has received backlash for her past work with actor Shia LaBeouf and her movie "Music," where dancer Maddie Ziegler played a young girl with autism, despite not having autism herself. It was a bad musical move on Cyrus' part, but she made up for this more so on the p.m. side of her album.

"Handstand" is one of the redeeming tracks on this project, starting off with Cyrus talking in prose and then moving into a club anthem. It's by far the most ambitious song on the album, reminiscent of a song you'd hear off "Bangerz" or "SHE IS COMING." This track proves that the singer is willing to stretch herself and her creative delivery.

At its peak, Cyrus hits fans with "River," a song that sees the singer finally in love again after years of heartbreak. This song is like a dance record from the 1980s, with lively strings and robotic production that puts Cyrus' vocals on display yet again. She sings, "Heart beats so loud that it's drowning me out / Living in an April shower / You're pouring down, baby, drown me out / Oh oh ooh, you're just like a river," with the imagery of the song representing the intimacy and excitement that comes with a new relationship.

The album's close is an interesting one, ending on a sentimental and empowering note with "Wonder Woman." A song all about the emotional toll of being a woman in the spotlight, Cyrus signals a call for action, wanting listeners to understand the media's impact on artists and their mental health. She says, "When her favorite record's on and she's dancin' in the dark / She can't stop her eyes from wellin' up, up / She makes sure that no one's 'round to see her fall apart / She wants to be thе one that never doеs," letting her own experiences come to the forefront.

On "Endless Summer Vacation," Miley Cyrus isn't afraid to be honest, or talk openly about her sex and love life. Although this album may not be her best, it still solidifies the singer as one of pop music's best artists, reeling listeners in with her lyrical imagery and creative vision.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu