Here’s 5 horror movies to watch during spring break

Halloween is officially seven months away. If you’re anything like me, you simply cannot wait for the spooky season and want nothing more than that crisp fall weather to return. Fortunately, the changing of the seasons is in full swing as winter slowly turns to spring.

Spring Break is only a few days away, which is the prime time to travel, hang out with old friends or catch up on some much-needed self-care. What’s better self care than watching some good-ol’ horror movies?

With that being said, here are some Spring Break-themed horror movies to satisfy your Halloween urge this spring:

The Evil Dead” (1981)

First up is the classic and iconic “The Evil Dead” (1981), directed by Sam Raimi. The film follows a group of Michigan State University students who travel to Tennessee where they rented an old cabin for the weekend. In the cabin, the students find an old book and recording that unleashes an evil force from the surrounding woods.

This film is amazingly done for having such a low budget of $375,000. The gore is absolutely sickening (in a good way), the makeup for the demonic creatures is horrifying and the dilapidated cabin setting is extremely creepy. The movie also gives us our beloved final dude, Ashley “Ash” Williams, who is played by Bruce Campbell. We continue to watch Ash battle Deadites for another two movies, “Evil Dead II” (1987) and “Army of Darkness” (1992) and the TV show, “Ash vs Evil Dead” (2015-18) in the "Evil Dead" franchise.

Now is the best time to watch this movie and its sequels since the new addition to the franchise, “Evil Dead Rise,” comes out on April 21. Make sure to be on the lookout for its official review!

An American Werewolf in London” (1981)

Next up is John Landis’ “An American Werewolf in London,” which was also released in 1981. The movie follows two American college students who embark on a backpacking journey across England. Plans go awry when they get attacked by a terrifying werewolf, which leaves one of them dead and the other slowly morphing into a werewolf.

Who doesn’t love a good werewolf movie? Mixing comedy and terror, this movie is a campy flick with lots of horrifying yet hilarious scenes. The transformation scenes take your breath away with the fascinating practical effects done by Rick Baker. In fact, Baker’s terrifying werewolf makeup won the movie an Oscar for Best Makeup at the 54th Annual Academy Awards. Overall, it’s a fantastic and underrated film that you should definitely watch during Spring Break.

Final Destination” (2000)

The next film on this list is “Final Destination” (2000) directed by James Wong. The film stars Devon Sawa as Alex Browning, a teenager who has a vision of himself and his friends dying in a plane crash. After he prevents the accident, Death hunts them down one by one in a series of horrifying, yet creative deaths.

Are you planning on traveling during Spring Break? Well, this is the movie for you! Of course, this is sarcasm because this movie is sure to give you a phobia of flying. Nevertheless, this film is unique for its creative plot and inventive kill scenes. This is the first movie in a series of four other Final Destination movies: “Final Destination 2” (2003), “Final Destination 3” (2006), “The Final Destination” (2009) and “Final Destination 5” (2011).

There is another Final Destination movie, shall we call it “Final Destination 6,” that is in the works for future release. There is not a set time for when it will drop, but a list of details known about the film can be found here. In the meantime, have fun with this aerophobia nightmare this Spring Break!

House of Wax” (2005)

Jaume Collet-Serra’s “House of Wax” (2005) is the next film on this list. Based on Charles S. Belden’s 1932 book, “The Wax Works,” this movie follows a group of teenagers who stumble upon an old wax museum that holds dark secrets inside.

If you’re the nostalgic type, this movie is sure to transport you back into the culture shift that is the year 2005. Some notable actors from the cast are Paris Hilton, who is a very notable figure from the early 2000s, Jared Padalecki, who is known for his role as Sam on the CW TV show, “Supernatural” (2005-20) and Chad Michael Murray, who is best known for his role as Lucas Scott on the WB/CW drama series “One Tree Hill” (2003-12).

Moreover, “House of Wax'' is a camp time capsule with lots of suspense, terror and thrill. If you plan to take a road trip this Spring Break with a few of your friends, use this film as a warning to stay clear of strange roadside attractions!

The Cabin in the Woods” (2011)

Need another movie with the “scary cabin in the woods” trope? Look no further than Drew Goddard’s “The Cabin in the Woods” (2011). This film follows five college friends who spend the weekend at a remote cabin in the woods. Unfortunately, their nice weekend getaway turns into a disaster and the friends must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Although this seems like a simple, single-layered movie, there is a lot more underneath that makes this film worthwhile. There are countless “cabin in the woods” movies to choose from, but the “meta” premise holds this film above the others. Its twists and turns have the audience drawn in and wanting to know more about what is happening. Overall, “The Cabin in the Woods” is a humorous gore fest with lots of secrets to unfold. It’s sure to give you a fright this Spring Break.

Honorable Mention: “Cabin Fever” (2002)

In the mood for another horrific movie to watch this Spring Break? Look no further than the final movie on this list. Eli Roth’s “Cabin Fever” was released in 2002 and follows five college students who resort to a cabin in the woods for spring break.

More on this film can be found here – an article written by yours truly that lists five college horror movies to watch during Halloween. It felt wrong to not have this film on this list even though it’s been mentioned before (and there are two other films about cabins in the woods). It’s a terrific movie that one must watch whether it’s during Halloween or Spring Break.

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu