Fresh Finds Friday: 6lack releases his third studio album, 'Since I Have A Lover;' Ed Sheeran copes with a loss on 'Eyes Closed;' The Scarlet Opera releases a riot ballad

Happy Friday, Bobcats. Another week has come and gone, and you know what the best part of my week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Since I Have A Lover (Album)” by 6lack

Released this past Friday comes 6lack's (pronounced Black) latest studio album, "Since I Have A Lover,” which follows up his signature style of infusing R&B with velvety spaces in instrumentation that supports his raps about depression, heartbreak and an all-knowing doubt about the human condition paired with extolling on virtues of long-term monogamy and the transformative power of therapy. Across its 19 tracks, 6lack combines records that'll engage older fans with vibes to the likes of his previous work, such as “Free 6lack," and new records that experiment with guitar work on songs, such as "Spirited Away" show that 6lack is finding new ways to evolve in his delivery.

“Eyes Closed” by Ed Sheeran

On “Eyes Closed,” British superstar singer/songwriter Ed Sheeran reflects on loss after the death of his close friends Jamal Edwards and Shane Warne, which happened separately but were within weeks of each other. Sheeran said, “this song is about losing someone, feeling like every time you go out and you expect to just bump into them, and everything just reminds you of them and the things you did together." Accompanied by a music video that features Sheeran with a blue monster that gets bigger as the video moves on juxtaposing the growth of sadness as you move down the journey of coping with the loss you can watch the music video here.

“More Than Friends” by Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real, Lainey Wilson

Grammy award-winning artist and son of Willie Nelson, Lukas Nelson, released a dream collaboration with Lainey Wilson on "More Than Friends." Wilson states, "’More Than Friends' is a modern-day take on the musical, kindred spirits of icons like Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers." Nelson shared how he chose Wilson to be on track "I had always envisioned it as a duet. I am a big fan of Lainey. When we sent her the song, I was thrilled to hear back that she loved it and wanted to do it." Overall, this song celebrates human connection and the excitement of the possible.

“Riot” by The Scarlet Opera 

The Scarlet Opera is an alternative-punk rock band from Los Angeles and recently released “Riot,” which is one of four songs on their debut EP “Comedy.” “Riot” is a powerful and impactful song that combines a unique blend of rock, theater and glam while urging listeners to “speak their minds and not be afraid to make some noise.” Overall, it’s a single that will get audiences pumped for the rest of the EP. You can check out “Comedy” on your preferred streaming platform.

“Your Funeral” by MAY-A

Australian singer-songwriter MAY-A follows up from the recent drop *"Sweat You Out My System" with "Your Funeral," which is about "seeking out the things you know are bad for you because you're a little bit of a sadist," says MAY-A about the song in a Dork Report. It’s a massive satirical comment on not accepting the love people want to give you because you're terrified you'll end up breaking it off first, or they'll break it off with you.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu