Ohio lost its series to Central Michigan 2-1 at Bob Wren Stadium over the weekend. Ohio won Saturday’s game but dropped Friday and Sunday’s.

Baseball: Dillon Masters anchored bullpen in series loss

When Ohio took on Central Michigan Sunday, Dillon Masters was one of the only bright spots in a rough game that the Bobcats went on to lose 10-6.

Masters has been on a tear for Ohio ever since *his rough outing to start the season against Navy. Since that game, where Masters surrendered four runs, the lefty pitcher out of New Albany, Ohio, has yet to allow another run. 

Masters was put in to relieve Hudson Boncal in the seventh inning and pitched back-to-back hitless innings while also picking up four strikeouts.  

Masters entered the game when the Bobcats needed to halt the Chippewas' big day at the plate. He did just that in the eighth inning by striking out two of Central Michigan's hottest hitters at the top of the lineup, Robby Morgan and Jacob Donahue. 

The relief pitcher was seemingly unhittable against an offense that seemed unstoppable in the early innings. The ball was never hit out of the infield during Masters' appearance. 

The Ohio offense was given every opportunity to come back in the game thanks to the superb performance put forth by Masters. Ohio just couldn’t get it done. The offense fell completely silent against Central Michigan’s impressive bullpen. 

“(It) brought in a lefty that was kind of a thumber. That got us off track, off-timing. He did and the guy that finished the game, they did what they’re supposed to do,“ Moore said.

Masters’ great performance came after yet another great performance on Friday against Central Michigan where he faced two batters, striking out one. 

Masters was the only pitcher for Ohio who made two appearances over the span of the weekend, a quality that head coach Craig Moore has taken note of as a tool that the team plans to use in the future. 

“It was good to find out that we were able to utilize him on Fridays, then bring him back on Sundays,” Moore said. “He did an outstanding job with both appearances this weekend.” 

Masters has appeared in six of Ohio’s 18 games so far this season and has been a weapon out of the bullpen. Last year he only appeared in four games for Murray State, where he struggled. He ended the season with a 9.53 ERA. 

Masters may have found his home with the Bobcats. 

Despite the loss to Central Michigan, Ohio has found a secret weapon in Masters that will be utilized in the future as it approaches a long stretch of MAC weekend series matchups.

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu