Ohio University guard Miles Brown (2) drives for a layup against Northern Illinois at the Convocation Center on February 21, 2023.

Men's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 82-75 loss to Kent State

Ohio had to work from behind against Kent State in Tuesday’s 82-75 loss. 

The Bobcats clawed their way to a halftime lead after falling behind by nine points early. The Golden Flashes dominated all areas of the court and the Bobcats weren’t quite in tune. 

However, Ohio was on it the minute the clock started for the second half. It climbed out to a 10-point lead, but soon lost control. Kent State reclaimed the lead with ten minutes to go and marched onward to victory. 

Here are the numbers to know: 

18

The Bobcats had 18 points in the paint Tuesday night. Four of those were in the first half, while 14 were in the second half. 

Ohio’s main contributor in the paint, Dwight Wilson III, was limited to seven points in 30 minutes. Wilson typically accounts for far more points in the total, but Kent State was able to shut him down. 

12 

Ohio did not do enough from beyond the arc to help its poor paint performance.. It made 12-31 3-pointers at the M.A.C. Center. The performance wasn’t Ohio’s best, but it also wasn’t Ohio’s worst of the season.

Ben Roderick led the Bobcats by making 3-4 attempts. A.J. Clayton followed by making 2-3. Jaylin Hunter made 3-9. 

53 

Three players scored 53 of Kent State’s points. Sincere Carry racked up 23 points while Chris Payton and Malique Jacobs each had 15. 

Carry is No. 6 in the Mid-American Conference in scoring. The reigning MAC Player of the Year didn’t have near as much success against Ohio in mid-January, however. He scored 11 points in that victory. Ohio’s defense didn’t know how to stop him Tuesday, though. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu