Ohio University third baseman Annalia Paoli (3) running hard to first base trying to beat the ball after hitting a ground ball at Ohio Softball Field on April 5, 2022.

Softball: Ohio sweeps Akron, extends winning streak to six

Ohio had its first mid-week series of the season against Akron and was more than ready for the challenge. Ohio won every game by at least three runs and had two different pitchers start and finish games.

Here's how the midweek series went:

Game 1, Tuesday

Ohio pitcher Skipp Miller was dealing as usual in Ohio's 7-3 win. The Bobcats didn't score until the third inning, but in that inning, they scored three runs, including a two-run home run from Yasmine Logan. After the Zips scored their first run in the fourth inning, Annalia Paoli responded with a two-run single in the fifth. Although the Zips cut the lead to two, the Bobcats scored two more runs for a comfortable 7-3 win.

Miller pitched a complete game and only gave up three earned runs.

Game 2, Wednesday

Ohio had another great pitching performance in its 5-2 win in game one of Wednesday's doubleheader. Kylie Coffelt held the Zips scoreless through the first three innings, and the Bobcats were able to take a 5-0 lead. Reagan Farmer hit a single with two outs in the first to score Logan. Two innings later, Emma Hoffner hit a two-run home run to give the Bobcats a 3-0 lead. Hoffner drove in another run in the top of the fourth to put the Bobcats up 5-0. The Zips answered with a run in the fourth and fifth innings, but Coffelt finished her complete game with two scoreless frames in the sixth and seventh.

Hoffner had three RBI in Ohio's win, and Coffelt struck out four hitters in seven innings.

Game 3, Wednesday

The Bobcats carried the energy they got from their game one win into game two with a stressful 9-5 win. Logan hit a two-run home run in the top of the first inning to give the Bobcats an early lead. Shelby Westler added to the lead in the first inning with a double. After allowing another run in the third inning, the Zips broke their scoring drought in the fourth. Five of the first six Zips reached base in the fourth inning, but Keegan Moore retired two straight to end the inning with the Bobcats still ahead. Both teams scored a run in the fifth inning, and the Bobcats created some needed cushion in the seventh when Paoli hit a two-run home run. The Bobcats cashed in on a couple of Zips errors to create a five-run lead heading into the bottom of the seventh. Despite their sizable advantage, the final three outs were stressful for the Bobcats. Two hits and a walk gave the Zips a bases-loaded situation with no outs. Miller traded a run for an out after a ground-out to second, then forced another Zips hitter to pop out, and the Bobcats won the game when Madison Dudek grounded out to second.

Logan finished the game going 4-4 with a home run, while Paoli went 2-4 with a home run and three RBI.

@GorbettBobby

bg238320@ohio.edu