Ohio University softball teams bench celebrating after a big out in the second inning against Ohio State at Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio, on March 22, 2022.

Softball: Ohio earns first series sweep against Bowling Green

Ohio swept Bowling Green in a three-game series that saw Ohio string together strong wins, all with multi-run margins.

Ohio’s sweep increased its record to 13-14 overall and 4-2 in the Mid-American Conference, which puts it half a game behind first place. Bowling Green dropped to 8-18 overall and 1-5 in the MAC.

Friday

The Bobcats started off the weekend hot as they produced an impressive team outing in an 8-1 victory over the Falcons.

Ohio succeeded in hitting in game one, in which it totaled a season-high 17 hits. Ohio was led by Yasmine Logan who went 3-for-4 with two RBIs and CiCi Keidel who hit 2-for-4, including the three-run home run in the top of the fifth that kept Bowling Green out of reach. 

As for Bowling Green’s offense, it couldn’t figure out Skipp Miller. Miller was on the mound the entire game for the Bobcats, where she allowed four hits and one run. Miller’s outing was highlighted by seven strikeouts for her fifth win of the season. 

Sunday

Game one

The Bobcats kept their speed from Friday’s victory. They put forth another offensive-dominant performance in which they hit four home runs — the most they have in a single game this season — for a 13-4 victory in five innings.

The Bobcats offense was led by Logan, who went 2-for-3 with one home run and three RBIs, Annalia Paoli, who went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and Shelby Westler, who slammed two home runs in the second and third inning to tally four RBIs for the day. 

The Falcons started off hot in the first inning with Peyton Dolejs driving in a runner and later scoring off a wild pitch to make for a 2-0 lead, but the Bobcats quickly took over.

Bowling Green scored two more runs in the bottom of the fifth, but it couldn’t complete the comeback. Keegan Moore earned her second victory for Ohio in game one.

Sunday Game 2

The final match of the three-game series was a pitching duel between Miller and Bowling Green’s Hannah Davies. Both pitchers tossed all seven innings and kept the game within a single run until the seventh inning. 

The Bobcats scored first in the third inning when Tori O’Brien tripled to right field to drive Keidel in.

The game remained 1-0 until the bottom of the sixth where a fielding error by the Bobcats allowed Delaney Davis to tie the game at 1-1. 

Ohio entered the seventh inning tied but broke through Bowling Green’s defense late. Ohio capped the rally off by scoring five runs to recapture the lead at 6-1. 

Bowling Green failed to answer in the bottom seventh, meaning Ohio swept the weekend ending with the 6-1 victory and Miller’s second victory of the weekend. Miller collected 14 strikeouts over the weekend and allowed only two runs.

Jc628121@ohio.edu