Ohio freshman Harrison Johnson (9) fumbles the ball in an attempt to tag Toledo's Garret Pike (19) at third during a rundown on Sunday, April 10, 2022 at Bob Wren Stadium.

Baseball: Ohio pitching struggles in three-game sweep from Southern Illinois

Ohio wrapped up a two-day, three-game series with Southern Illinois on Sunday where Ohio was unable to pick up a win, going 0-3. 

The Bobcats gained some late momentum in game one of Saturday's doubleheader but it never amounted to anything as they only struggled more as the weekend progressed. The Bobcats’ main issue was their pitching. They gave up more than ten runs in back-to-back games Saturday. 

Here's how it all went down:

Saturday

Game One

Ohio played its best in the first game Saturday where it put up nine runs on 15 hits. Despite the offensive onslaught, Ohio still came up short by giving up two runs to Southern Illinois in the ninth. The last-minute slip resulted in an 11-9 Ohio loss. 

Luke Olson was the starting pitcher for the Bobcats. Olson had a good start to the game with four straight shutout innings but struggled in the fifth. The junior gave up six runs and seven hits en route to him being pulled before recording the final out in the fifth. 

Junior Gideon Antle came up big for the Bobcats, recording four hits in six at-bats while scoring three of Ohio’s 11 runs. Catcher Mason Minzey followed Antle with three RBIs on two hits.

Game Two 

Heading into the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader, Ohio struggled to mount anything on offense and was beaten 11-3. 

The Bobcats just barely avoided the shutout, scoring all three of its runs in the ninth inning. 

The offense wasn’t the only part of Ohio’s game that was lacking. Zach Weber picked up his third loss of the season after giving up eight earned runs and nine hits in only three and two-thirds innings pitched. 

Clay Cutter only had one at-bat in the game but he made the best of it. Cutter hit a double to right center driving in two runs for the Bobcats in a pinch-hit at-bat. 

Sunday

Ohio played another close game against Southern Illinois on Sunday. Ohio scored four runs including a three-run inning in the seventh. However, it still was not enough to beat Southern Illinois. Ohio fell 7-4.

Trent Spoon started for Ohio and pitched into the fifth giving up four runs on seven hits. Spoon was credited with the loss after surrendering a three-run home run in the third to Ryan Rodriguez. 

AJ Rausch carried the offense for the Bobcats with three hits and three RBIs, including a two-RBI double in the top of the seventh.

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu