Underrated Artist: 2023 is PinkPantheress’s year in music

PinkPantheress is a mysterious figure in the music industry, not really bringing much attention to herself unless it’s to promote new music, making her music worth the listen. Recently releasing “Boy’s a liar Pt. 2” in collaboration with upcoming rapper Ice Spice, the British hyperpop singer has been making waves in the pop genre at only 21 years old.

What makes PinkPantheress so underrated as an artist is her coolness toward fame, not necessarily looking to be a recognizable face in the industry, but instead looking to prove her talent through her sound, which has been unique from the start. It’s evident that this known fact has aided the singer, especially after touring with major artists such as Halsey and The 1975.

Surprisingly, the singer has only been in the industry for two years, releasing her first single, “Break It Off” back in 2021. Yet, PinkPantheress was creating music for fun as a teenager, using GarageBand and SoundCloud to upload her songs onto, which eventually caught the attention of TikTok, causing celebrities to fall in love with her work, including Lizzo and Bella Poarch.

In an interview with the BBC, the singer admitted she hadn’t even been showing her music to her family or friends until one of her friends found her songs on TikTok, causing PinkPantheress to come clean. Even though her rise to fame was imminent, the singer still kept her private life to herself, not revealing her real name or posting on social media.

PinkPantheress’s privacy may pertain to her personal life, but her musical themes and lyrics make up for her shyness and guarded nature. Following “Break It Off,” the singer dropped “Pain,” which would later be included on her debut album, “to hell with it,” all being released as well in 2021. Alongside her album, she also continued creating singles, producing “Passion,” “Attracted To You” and “Just for me.”

Pitchfork even ranked the singer’s first album a 7.3, which is arguably hard to do as a new artist. The publication said, “But what sets PinkPantheress’ music firmly in the modern day is her voice, an ethereal, pixelated miasma that breaks from the earnest delivery of her British predecessors. Her pinched coos feel hyperreal, the edges of her syllables sharpened as if sung by a swooning voice-to-text machine,” a true sign that her musical catalog was already receiving mass critical acclaim.

Mixing the genres of pop, hyperpop, disco tech and alternative, PinkPantheress gained a massive following shortly after these rave reviews, leaving an imprint within an industry that is becoming centered around artists producing viral hits. 

The following year, PinkPantheress kept expanding her discography, collaborating with Lil Uzi Vert and Shygirl on “bbycakes” and WILLOW on “Where you are.” She also ventured into EDM in a duet with Sam Gellaitry on “Picture in my mind,” willingly throwing herself into new opportunities to show off her witty lyricism.

The singer went even further to drop a new EP that year called “Take me home,” featuring songs such as the original version of “Boy’s a liar” and “Do you miss me?” While this EP was able to serve as an influential next step in the singer’s career, it’s obvious that 2023 so far has been PinkPantheress’s most important year as an artist.

On Feb. 3, the singer shocked fans everywhere by teaming up with rapper Ice Spice to create a spin-off of “Boy’s a liar,” and now, the song is practically playing on every radio station around the world. It’s currently No.1 on Billboard’s Streaming Songs in its third week on the charts, proof that the single has been a hard one to beat in the last few months, and that the duo is unmatched in terms of creativity and genius.

At the moment, fans aren’t sure with PinkPantheress still has up her sleeve for the rest of the year, but she is slated to perform at the Governors Ball Music Festival in Queens, NY this June, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if the singer makes more appearances at major music festivals this summer being the highly successful artist she is.

With only two years under her belt, PinkPantheress has already shown that talent and charisma can get you far, especially when you don’t try to bring too much attention to yourself. Her humbleness radiates outside of her music, a sign that the singer isn’t looking for competition or drama in an industry that likes to perpetrate it at times. All in all, keep this singer in mind as 2023 continues to fly by, as she’s definitely going to continue to make this year hers.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu