5 ways to exercise on campus besides going to the gym

Sometimes working out at the gym just doesn’t sound appealing on campus, especially with the influx of students who flood Ping Center’s three floors throughout the day. Now, with the cherry blossoms in bloom and the sun actually staying out for more than seven hours of the day, this time of year is perfect to try new exercises outside.

If you’re looking for a way to get outside and around campus, here are five ways to exercise on campus besides going to the gym:

Go for a walk around campus

With many walking trails nearby, Ohio University is the perfect place to take a stroll whenever you have some free time in your day. For example, you could walk by the cherry blossoms near Peden Stadium or grab some friends to walk up and down College Green and Court Street to shake up your normal workout routine. Walking is actually a really good way to burn off some steam and get a good workout in without overexerting yourself, and with the right mix of sunshine, it’ll instantly boost your mood.

Run throughout Athens

If you’re a runner, try running circles around campus, starting where your dorm or apartment is and ending there as well. This should take about an hour or so, making it a fulfilling and tiring workout that’ll leave you feeling confident and more energized than beforehand. An exercise like this is also great to do at any time of the day, so if you’re an early riser or night owl, the temperature outside will allow you to have a relaxing run around Athens that you only get to do for so many years.

Work out at home

Working out at home is another option that saves time and gives you the freedom to choose when and where you want to work out. It’s also ideal if you don’t like crowds, freeing up space and diminishing any fears of judgment or anxiety. With this, you can just look up a workout routine on YouTube, TikTok or Instagram, and do whatever is in your skillset. From cardio dance to pilates to free weights, taking time out of your day to do this kind of exercise will help eliminate stress and prepare you for the day ahead, all at the pace and expertise level you desire.

Practice yoga on College Green

Now that it’s finally warm in Athens, grab your yoga mat and head out to College Green to enjoy some alone time. Even if you’re not into yoga, just trying this exercise will definitely help give you the space you crave, as well as let you think internally without people interrupting. You can also do this at any time of the day, a simple and quick fit into your schedule. If you don’t like working out alone though, ask some friends and put on a cute workout set and use this exercise as a time to catch up and burn some calories. By the end of it, you’ll feel a sense of peace and calm that maybe your day was lacking.

Go for a hike to The Ridges

Many OU students don’t even know what The Ridges are, so this activity is an amazing opportunity to familiarize yourself. Either with friends or on your own, you can walk through campus and up to The Ridges with ease, taking in all of the nature in bloom and the spring colors of Athens. The walk there round-trip is about 45 minutes, making it a quick workout that won’t even feel like one by the time it’s over. Once you actually get to The Ridges, you can also see all of campus, allowing for breaks during the hiking process.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu