All of the signs that ‘Midnights’ by Taylor Swift was, in fact, a breakup album

Sadly, one of pop culture’s most beloved couples, Taylor Swift and Joe Alwyn, recently split after six years together, the news breaking just weeks into the singer’s “Eras Tour.” Yet, there’s been speculation that the two have been broken up for a while now, with fans using Swift’s most recent album “Midnights” as evidence.

If you truly pick apart each song from this record, there are subtle hints that their relationship was no longer intact. With this in mind, here are all of the signs that “Midnights” by Taylor Swift was, in fact, a breakup album:

Swift recently said she felt the most connected to "Midnights"

During her recent tour stop in Tampa, Florida, the singer told the audience that she currently “feels really connected” to “Midnights” because “it’s the most accurate picture” of her life. This speech was later uploaded to TikTok, causing fans to theorize that she may be referring to her breakup with Alwyn. Later on, another fan also tweeted that Swift’s lyrics on the album sound like she’s been grieving the fearful end of her relationship, evident in the color scheme also used for it.

The lyrics on "Midnights"

While a lot of songs on “Midnights” are obviously homages to Alwyn, such as “Sweet Nothing” and “Mastermind,” there are also quite a few that see Swift’s exasperation and sadness come to the forefront. For example, “Bejeweled” is a song where the singer is annoyed with the comfort of her relationship and wants some more excitement. 

She sings, “Baby love, I think I've been a little too kind / Didn't notice you walking all over my peace of mind / In the shoes I gave you as a present / Puttin' someone first only works when you're in their top five / And by the way, I'm going out tonight,” which is a definite sign of being tied down for too long.

Additionally, People reported that Swift and Alwyn broke up because of Swift’s return to the spotlight after the COVID-19 pandemic, where the two fell in love “in a safe bubble while she was retreating from the world” and in an “insulated way,” causing the actor to struggle with her level of fame again. 

This fact is heavily talked about in “Bejeweled,” as Swift admits to not wanting to dull her sparkle or slow down career-wise for her partner, and says, “I made you my world / Have you heard? / I can reclaim the land / And I miss you / But I miss sparkling.”

Another song where Swift is doubtful of being in a serious relationship is  “Midnight Rain.” In one of the lines, “He wanted it comfortable / I wanted that pain / He wanted a bride / I was making my own name / Chasing that fame / He stayed the same,” the singer possibly referencing Alwyn’s comfortability with staying out of the spotlight, something she couldn’t find common ground on him with.

This annoyance is also referenced in “Lavender Haze,” where Swift sings, “All they keep asking me / Is if I’m gonna be your bride / The only kind of girl they see / Is a one-night or a wife,” sick of people seeing her as Alwyn’s girlfriend and not for her accomplishments. 

Lastly, Swift’s most underscored track “Labyrinth” sees her grieving the end of her time with Alwyn, saying, “I’ll be getting over you my whole life” and “Break up, break free, break through, break down.”

Don’t worry, Taylor Swift is doing okay though

As fans worried that Swift would be upset throughout her extensive US tour this summer, she made a subtle yet sweet gesture to one fan recently. During her song “Delicate,” which all Swifties know is a direct reference to Alwyn, the fan held up a sign asking, “You OK?” and the singer replied with a thumbs-up and a smile. 

With this remark, it’s safe to say that Swift is moving on from heartbreak with the help of her fanbase, as well as staying busy on tour.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu