Best ways to declutter your mind, life for spring

It's officially springtime, and with that comes the potential annual spring cleaning. Spring is the perfect time to declutter your space, mind and life. Everyone wants to live their best life, and with the weather getting warmer, the birds chirping, the wind blowing and the cherry blossoms blossoming, what better time to start than now? Here are some tips and tricks to live your best life this spring:

Write out your morning and night routine

Waking up early for class and going home late at night can be tiring when figuring out what must be done to prepare for the next day or unwind from the present one. Writing down both your morning and night tasks will ensure you won't miss anything and make the mornings and nights run smoother and quicker. 

Write down three good things from the day

After a long day, it can be easy to dwell on the things that went wrong. Failed a quiz? Had no time to eat? Got into an argument? It's easy to focus on what went wrong. Try to sit down at the end of the day and write down at least three good things that happened in the day. Did someone compliment your shirt? Did you have a good meal with friends? Was your class canceled? Being grateful for the little things can help you start to notice them more in your everyday life and leave you feeling happy and grateful for what you have instead of focusing on what you don't.  

Keep, throw out, donate

Purge your house. Make three piles: keep, throw out and donate. Go through room by room and sort things into their respective pile. Card from grandma? Keep. Apple core? Trash. A sweater that's too small? Donate. 

Spend time with nature

Nature is a beautiful thing, and it can also be soothing. Taking a few minutes to immerse yourself in nature, either by simply sitting in the grass on a picnic blanket while listening to your favorite song or taking a quick walk, can be healing. Things to do in nature include having a picnic, going on a run or walk, playing a friendly game of some sort and so much more. 

Limit phone time

Phones are great tools, but too much time on them can do more harm than good. It's not a bad idea to limit your phone time or designate certain times to go on with a certain time limit. 

Get a good night's sleep

Sleep is important! Sleep allows your body to rest from a long day's work. Without sleep, you can start to lag in everyday activities, which can prohibit you from living your best life this spring!

Make time for leisure activities 

It's important to have a healthy balance of work and play. Working hard allows you to play hard. And playing hard allows you to work hard. It's a win-win. Find a hobby you enjoy– whether it be knitting, running, painting or reading, and allow yourself time to do it every day. Setting aside time for leisure activities allows us to take our brains off of work or school stressors. 

There's no other time like spring to take a deep dive into your life and mind and see how you can improve it to be the best it can be.

or325320@ohio.edu 

@olivia_rohling