Ryan Maxin in front of Cutler Hall on College Green.

From the Editor's Desk: So long and farewell: my last Eddy’s Desk

Goodbyes are weird. Sometimes they’re bittersweet, and other times they’re just sweet. In some cases, like this one, they’re not very conclusive. Honestly, I think these are the hardest because they don’t mark a definitive end to anything. They’re more like a measly “so long” rather than a “goodbye.” 

I’m not graduating, and I’m certainly not leaving The Post. However, although it feels kind of awkward, I still have a goodbye to make. The time has finally come for me to hang up the ol’ editor-in-chief hat and walk into the sunset. And it’s a beautiful sunset at that. 

When I became editor-in-chief roughly a year ago, I had no idea how transformative the job would be, both in my personal and professional life. Abby Miller, the previous editor, set a fantastic foundation for me to build upon, and her enthusiasm about the job made me so excited to start. She told me about the triumphs and tribulations of the editorship but assured me I could handle whatever came my way. I still look up to her for her wisdom and support.  

A year later, I’ve realized she was right. Like life, the job has incredible ups and significant downs. All in all, it’s been the best experience of my life. 

I’m so incredibly thankful for the people this job has brought me closer to. I got to work with some of the most talented students I know, most of whom I handpicked, and build a paper each week that I was proud to put my name on. To all of the people on my editorial and creative teams, even though there are too many of you to name, you are all rockstars and I appreciate you from the bottom of my heart. And to my executive editors — Kayla Bennett, Jack Hiltner, Anastasia Carter and Alesha Davis — you all have done a great job keeping me sane and making my job fun; thank you so much. 

I’m confident that the work The Post has done this year is some of the best in its 111-year history. My departure won’t change that trend one bit. Katie Millard, who is taking over for me in a couple of weeks, is going to thrive in the position. I’m already impressed with her work, and I can’t wait to see what she and her staff accomplish. 

So, this will be my last ever “From the Editor’s Desk.” I’d like to give one last big thank-you to everyone who has supported me, including my parents, friends, professors, Post alumni and mentors. And to The Post’s readers, thank you so much for reading and for supporting our mission all year long. 

Long live The Post.

Ryan Maxin is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Interested in chatting more with him about his role? Email him at rm554219@ohio.edu or message him on Twitter at @ryanmaxin.